"Semi Homemade" ZVM LOD (cheap too)
Jan 30, 2008 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

os2k

100+ Head-Fier
Here is a bit of a confession. I am not a true audiophile. I am more of a "value-phile". I believe in good sounding equipment for a good price. That's why I could not bring myself to spending $50 or more on a LOD for my 30GB Zen Vision:M (which I got brand new about a year ago for around $150). Nor did I want to spend $20-$30 on components to make my own.

So let's cut to the chase. I was able to build my "semi homemade" LOD for my ZVM using parts that cost around $10 (including shipping from 2 different vendors).

For the dock connector and cable I just used one end of ZVM AV cable purchased from PC Micro Store (using a $3.00 discount - $5.99 shipped). Yes, I know it's far from being audiophile grade, but after 25 years of playing in bands, I don't think I could really tell a difference.

The mini jack is a Neutrik NYS231 purchased from Parts Express for $.99. I also splurged on some clearance priced ($.88) blue heatshrink tube. Shipping via USPS was only $2.50, and since I am located in OH, I got the parts overnight.

Luckily the design firm I work for has a well equipped shop, so I had access to a Weller soldering station, as well as Bosch heat gun.

Considering this is my first DIY project in many many years, I was pretty impressed with myself when sound actually came out of the headphones. It doesn't look half bad either. I know the heat shrink tubing is a bit sloppy, but its main function is to insulate the video wire.

The bottom line is - as far as I can tell - it sounds great, and I don’t have to deal with the hustle of using the dongle whenever I want to listen to my ZVM...

Pictures of the assembled cable below:

lod_close_up.jpg

Close up of finished LOD

lod_front.jpg

lod_top.jpg

Thanks head-fi for feeding my new obsession...

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 4
fatman711, jgonino,

Thank you for your kind words.

I am not planning on starting to make and sell these. It was hard enough for me finding the time to make this one cable.

My goal when starting this thread, was to share my experience of searching for an inexpressive and easy alternative to making an all-custom LOD. The components I used are available to everyone at a reasonable cost, and starting a project like this with some of the hard work already done for you, may encourage people to take the plunge and start a small DIY project.

I must admit - I was inspired and informed by a lot of the threads in this forum. I think this is a great community, and I wanted to offer something in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back