Semi-Homemade Headphones!!
Mar 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jjfranky123

New Head-Fier
well the title says it all i have recently built a pair of headphones i thought id share with u guys

i basicaly just used a tennis ball(i got the idea from a pic on google) the headband wire is what we use to fence in our cows and the top is some foam and some steel roofing flashing and the drivers i got from an old pair of sony headphones that came with a cd player.  u can also adjust it by moving the tennis ball up and down.

the drivers are not glued but they fit in there snugly so i think they are fine

this was fun but i want to get into it a little more and build a pair from the ground up so i was thinking of buying a set of sfi drivers to mess with  any one know any other cheap drivers that are good to play with?

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 20
Hah, that's so cool! And concerning the SFI's, I don't think they'd sound good in a tennis ball, but I have no idea about the acoustic properties of it, so who knows?

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 20
The Koss KSC75 come with some amazing drivers for $15. You need to remove as much of the grill and pad as possible, just check in the Kramer mod thread. I love my pair that I put a parts-express headband and recabled. They sound like $40 at least. Amazing clarity, soundstage, imaging, and bass even.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 20
they sound imo i bit better than stock not a huge difference but they are certainly more durable

i wasent planning on putting the SFIs in tennis balls, i was thinking of building wooden cases,home made headband with foam... i got it all figured out
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
The Koss KSC75 come with some amazing drivers for $15. You need to remove as much of the grill and pad as possible, just check in the Kramer mod thread. I love my pair that I put a parts-express headband and recabled. They sound like $40 at least. Amazing clarity, soundstage, imaging, and bass even.

I forgot to add that the KSC75 drivers need to be in an open enclosure, otherwise they don't sound good at all. I tried putting them in a Senn HD201 enclosure, and it did not sound good at all. BTW, the HD201 driver is decent. It is not quite on the level of the KSC75's, but it does perform in a closed headphone. Just stuff to keep in mind. If I think of any more cheap headphones to mod, I will post again.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 20
Stand out and be the the envy of the crowd at Wimbledon this year. I like them. Do they give the music more bounce.
It would be nice the get a clean cut on the ball then they would look awesome.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 20
they sound imo i bit better than stock not a huge difference but they are certainly more durable

i wasent planning on putting the SFIs in tennis balls, i was thinking of building wooden cases,home made headband with foam... i got it all figured out
biggrin.gif

Ah in that case, yes they'll sound great. Smeggipucks sound marvelous.

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 20
Mar 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back