Selling Stello HP100 for a Benchmark DAC1, good choice or not?
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DSlayerZX

500+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, I have a question.

I am thinking about upgrading my source, as what you can see in my sig, it isn't very good

I am thinking of selling my HP100 in order to finance my purchase of a Benchmark DAC1 for a better source.

I am currently in college and money is definitely an issue so I can't afford to keep the DAC1 and HP100 at the same time.

I am doing this mainly because I am thinking about balance my headphone in the future and DAC1 seems like having a decent built in headphone amp.

but here are my question.

how is the balanced output of the DAC1 with out adding an amp?
should I grab a mid range DAC first and upgrade later?

or is there any other balanced DAC that is available?
confused.gif

what should I do, thank you

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 6
What you should do is have a listen, preferably in your home system. Wouldn't be too good if you didn't like the DAC1.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 6
a lot of people have used balanced headphones directly from the the DAC1, Mini-Dac, and DA10 with great success. any headphone reterminated with female XLRs can be used balanced from these DACs. it is often said that high impedance headphones respond better than low impedance ones - but i know people that have used both and seem to be quite happy with the result.

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 6
You are the only person that can answer that question for your ears. The DAC1 has a nice money-back guarantee. You should order it now, or, if you can't afford to have it on your credit card before selling your DAC, wait until there is a head-fi meet in your area so you can make the comparison there. When you have carefully compared the DAC1 to your current DAC (preferably using a blind test of some sort with a friend), write back to us here with an honest, accurate, non-exaggerated description of the difference in sound between the two DACs that you heard during your tests.

Honestly, I am sure there are much better things you can do with your money than upgrade from one excellent DAC to another. I highly doubt you will notice a significant difference between the Stello and another high-end DAC.

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Isn't the sound signature of Stello and Benchmark on the opposite sides?
If you like Stello, you might not like a DAC1. I would try first if you can.

Edit: sorry I misread, you have a Stello amp, not a DAC...

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 6
XD yes, I have a Stello AMP not DAC

I was aiming for the stello Stack since I used to own a HD650. Now since I don't, I am seriously thinking about other options.

the main reason why I am asking this question is because i saw many post here indicates that a balanced phone will sound good even directly from the DAC it self. ( in this case, the DAC1, DA10)
I am not considering the mini-DAC since I want to leave the normal RCA connection an open option for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back