selling my setup, recommend me something cheap
Jul 17, 2004 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

absolutofft

Head-Fier
I am going to be selling my headphone amp and headphones soon to pay for a new wakeboard that I just bought.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have sony mdr v600's as well which I use for playing games etc but they are extremely uncomfortable compared to my HD580's. Recommend me something that is cheap and comfortable.

I was thinking maybe koss?

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 16
I was thinking about 30-50 bux. I would be willing to buy used. I would imagine mdr-v6's would fit into this price range, but they probably are about as comfortable as the v600's. I really want something as comfortable as the 580's with big, deep ear cups so that the phones don't really press on your ears hardly at all.

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutofft
I was thinking about 30-50 bux. I would be willing to buy used. I would imagine mdr-v6's would fit into this price range, but they probably are about as comfortable as the v600's. I really want something as comfortable as the 580's with big, deep ear cups so that the phones don't really press on your ears hardly at all.

Unfortunately, good-sounding full-sized circumaural headphones in that price range don't exist. Most of them in that range are overpriced for their sound quality, even at those prices. Why should you pay $30 to $50 for such headphones that sound worse than a lot of $20 smaller-sized headphones? With big headphones in that range, you either get honky, muddy sound or harsh, tinny sound. Certainly bordering on being completely unacceptable for music.

You might as well settle for a $6 pair of Sony Walkman-replacement headphones, however small and uncomfy they are, if that level of sound quality is what you're after.

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 16
People here who own the Sony MDR-CD380s have praised them very highly. They tend to run about $30, I think. The frequency response curve I've seen is top-notch, worthy of a $100 to $200 phone, but I've never heard them. Hope this helps. I'm guessing they're a bit of a groovalizer. Nice deep earcups, very efficient. I've only seen them on the net.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: As a general rule Eagle is right, though, that's a very tall order to fill (we posted at the same time). I think the CD380 may be your only hope.

Quote:

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
People here who own the Sony MDR-CD380s have praised them very highly. They tend to run about $30, I think. The frequency response curve I've seen is top-notch, worthy of a $100 to $200 phone, but I've never heard them. Hope this helps. I'm guessing they're a bit of a groovalizer. Nice deep earcups, very efficient. I've only seen them on the net.
smily_headphones1.gif

I doubt that there is a Fry's Electronics near you, absolutofft - but they carry the MDR-CD380's, albeit at full MSRP of $70.

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 16
I'd go for the AKG K240 Studio... great value for such a small amount of money
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 16
Ouch! $70! That's SR60 territory! The AKG240S might be a little out of your price range too, I think ($80-$100).

Here's a froogle search for you! I notice that B&H photo carries the CD380s for $40 -- they're a very reliable vendor and might be worth a few extra dollars.

Some day I will succumb to temptation and get a pair of these for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sony MDR-CD380 Froogle Search

Jul 17, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Those CD380's seem like they might be the ticket, I wonder how they would sound compared to my mdr v600's? better?

What about the comfort level of the k240 and the cd380? The K240 looks as though the earpads might be pressing on your ears quite a bit.

edit: the K240's are 600 ohm, that's too high for computer usage without an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 16
People here who've owned them say the CD380s have great comfort. Judging by a few head-fiers' impressions and by the frequency response graphs, I could only guess that the CD380s will sound much, much better than the V600s. But I can only guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Those CD380's seem like they might be the ticket, I wonder how they would sound compared to my mdr v600's? better?

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

edit: the K240's are 600 ohm, that's too high for computer usage without an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

The K240S (referenced above) is 55. The K240M is 600.

Jul 17, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

What about the comfort level of the k240 and the cd380? The K240 looks as though the earpads might be pressing on your ears quite a bit.

well, I've never tried the CD380... but I would be wary of anything from sony thats not top of the line... most of their low and mid range cans are horrible IMO... the k240s is VERY comfortable... the headband on AKG cans beats anything out there and the clamping pressure on the k240s is very low... they rest lightly on your head... no problem wearing them with glasses, when lying down, etc

and yeah, as blessing said, I was talking about the 55 ohm version... its nice to have an amp with them but they run very well without
smily_headphones1.gif

didnt notice your $60 price limit though... you could probably get them for that used, but not new... it would only be 10-20 bucks more though, so it might be worth it for you
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 16
the CD380 headband is very brittle. You will have to exercise extreme care. They are like pillows on your ears. They sound good. I preferred them to the V600 at Frys. They should be great for gaming.

Jul 17, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Get some koss r80's. They have big earcups and sound better than sony v6's(and eggos and v700's and sony 780's which I'd imagine sound better then sony 580's but have no way of knowing). You can get them from ecost for $35. I found them nice and comfortable as well.

Biggie.

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
IMO... the k240s is VERY comfortable... the headband on AKG cans beats anything out there and the clamping pressure on the k240s is very low... they rest lightly on your head... no problem wearing them with glasses, when lying down, etc

I agree with philodox, I find the K240s to be extremly comfortable, the cups cover most of my entire ear and just rest on your head, the clamping pressure is very low, however how comfortable something is, is subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back