Selling in Canadian Dollars
Nov 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

landgreen

Head-Fier
I've got an item listed for sale and would like to do the transaction through paypal in Canadian dollars. The currency options don't allow for CDN dollars. Is it good form to just say in the listing itself that the transaction should be in Canadian dollars even though the dollar amount says US $?

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Yes it will be fine if you just put it in bold in your description saying that the price is however much CAD. Maybe calculate what the amount would be in USD and put that in the amount for sale (as long as they're equal), that way if it's something expensive the number in USD will be lower and maybe more people will look at your sale 
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply. It's hard doing the conversion between CDN and US $ these days as it varies by small amounts frequently but the dollars are close to par. Where I found the problem came in was on a recent transaction Paypal charged an additional amount to convert from US to CDN dollars on top of the regular Paypal fee. When I questioned it they said it was no different than what a bank would charge.
I suppose it all works out in the end for Paypal and the banks but as a consumer somehow we lose out regardless of which dollar is higher than the other at any given time. I've decided to keep it easier by just dealing in Canadian dollars. Not sure why there isn't an option for that when listing on this For Sale forum.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 4
I know what you mean with that extra fee to convert from US to CAD. As long as they charge at the current conversion rate it would be the same as what a bank would charge. But why get charged when you could just ask the buyer to pay in CAD. 
It would be nice to have CAD on the for sale forum here, but I guess they're just sticking with the "bigger" currencies in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back