Selling Headphones (Opening a store)
Jan 11, 2010 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vicentte

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'll just tell you a short story that will lead me to my question:

I live in Brazil, a country that taxes imported products that cost more than 50USD in 60%, and upon that, there is still 18% of state taxes. Importing anything is, therefore, pretty expensive, headphones included.

I was walking at the mall this weekend when I went to Fnac, a french multinational store, to take a look at DVDs and books. I was just wandering when I passed the headphone section of the store and was attracted by the S of Sennheiser and went to take a look. The PX100 were costing R$530 (Brazilian reais), which is, by today's currency exchange rate, 305USD.

I just could not believe that they are really selling those for more than 10 times the price (about 30USD). Of course they have to pay that whole lot of taxes, but even with all of that, that is EXTREMELY overpriced.

So, I began to think in opening a headphone store, probably in Mercado Livre, which is the Brazilian ebay, in order to sell phones at a reasonable price.

I don't know exactly what to ask, but I would like some input of stores to import from, tips with selling and general help from you guys.

By now, is that, I'll shape my questions while the flows. And I really hope it does...

beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 15
Let me get this right. You want to start your own business and you want us to do the legwork for you. And some of the most basic legwork at that (suppliers).

I'm not entirely sure how to regard that. But not with support and optimism. I'm wondering just how carefully you've thought through yoru idea.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me get this right. You want to start your own business and you want us to do the legwork for you. And some of the most basic legwork at that (suppliers).

I'm not entirely sure how to regard that. But not with support and optimism. I'm wondering just how carefully you've thought through yoru idea.

Indeed.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, since I just saw this on Saturday, I have not, indeed, thought a lot about it, but my first thought were that maybe head-fiers would be able to help me...

In fact, I am just wondering, still thinking about it... Was hoping you guys could contribute, since I have not bought from many stores, in fact, only at B&H.

By any means I was expecting you to research for me, just to say your personal experiences with different stores or so.

And since I am still only thinking about it, I would be grateful if you could maybe only discuss it with me...

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 15
What in the world would any of us know about importing headphones into Brazil? Maybe there's somebody lurking out there that does, but that's gotta be a one in a million shot.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Buy and import lets say 10 pairs, put them up for sale at Mercado Livre for a reasonable price. Then take it from there...

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy and import lets say 10 pairs, put them up for sale at Mercado Livre for a reasonable price. Then take it from there...

++ See how it goes...

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is Mercado Livre? A Mexican craigslist?

Probably not since he's from Brazil.

It looks a little fancier than craigslist. Looks more like eBay, but only Buy It Now

Google Translate

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicentte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I began to think in opening a headphone store, probably in Mercado Livre, which is the Brazilian ebay...

Thank you guys, I was thinking on something like that, buying a few pairs to see if it works out...

Any idea where to buy from?
And maybe which models? I am thinking of PortaPros and some other good and cheap in-ear... I am opened for suggestions, but this I guess I'll really have to do by myself: since I'll be selling to Brazilians, I'll try to figure out what people usually like here... I have a tendency to only take head-fi as a source...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back