Selling and Trading CDs Online
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
Earlier this month I was searching for a place online to sell my CDs and stumbled across this site: https://www.murfie.com

Has anyone else on HF tried this out? I sent in ~60 of my CDs and have found the trading community on the site to be pretty active. Already have received and downloaded a number of awesome albums.

Definitely not your typical online used CD store. They pay all the shipping costs to send in your discs and then you can sell and trade with other users. The best part is that when you get new music, you can download it straight from the site. No need to wait for the actual CD. The physical CD sits in their warehouse and you can get it delivered anytime you want it. Oh and did I mention you can download in FLAC? (sweet!)

Also one more nice feature is that they give you a personal shop where people can buy directly from your collection. Check mine out here: https://www.murfie.com/shop/southpolesteve

Thoughts?

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 6
I really really like the idea of trading online and downloading in FLAC.  I think everyone has a stack of CDs they never play anymore, and they're worthless on ebay or Amazon.  How does the site work?  How much do you "pay" Murfie for a trade?  How much do they give you when you "sell" an album.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Trading is free. It looks like they make money in the following ways: 1. 30% cut if anyone BUYS your music. 2. You get to download 3 free albums a month, but its costs $1 per album after that. 3. If you want the original disc delivered, it costs $2.50.

It seems a bit complicated, but the price per album has worked out pretty well for me. I think I have downloaded 7 albums and the average final cost has been around $2. A lot better than iTunes for sure. Also nice is that under there TOS, I still own the physical disc for all the music, it just happens to be sitting in their warehouse.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Sounds a bit like LaLa which went belly up.  LaLa was more like peer to peer CD trading.  You arranged trades though them and they sold you the shipping materials.  I'd be a little nervous about them going out of business with all of my CDs.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 6
THREAD BUMP!!!

I just discovered this service. This really should get more notice around here: https://www.murfie.com/

I'm particularly interested in such things as, do they actually rip the CD or LP you send in or do they use ones they have already in stock? I'm particularly interested because I would love to try Vinyl ripped flacs.. And this particular service will allow you to purchase Vinyl, keep it in their warehouse, and download the album in FLAC. Question is, is the actual album being downloaded sourced from Vinyl or CD? I'd rather it was the former as I've read in a several posts that Vinyl seem to have more layers of sound vs CD copies of albums.

*edit: So I see they don't sell LPs, but just offer the digitization process for them. Bummer but I can still send CDs in to store, digitize, and possible trade (sell and buy other used CDs).

BUMP and tag: @Stillhart  @Ivabign @conquerator2 @AxelCloris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back