Sellers: How to deal with lost package ?
Jan 11, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sellers, how do you deal with buyers when your package is lost or stolen during shipping ? Would you send refund to the buyer as soon as the package is confirmed lost and recover from insurance claim later ? Or leave the buyer hanging ?

Who was the carrier?
Did you offer insurance to the buyer?
Was there insurance on the item?
Was it shipped internationally?
Do you "know" the person you sold to?

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who was the carrier?
Was there insurance on the item?
Was it shipped internationally?
Do you "know" the person you sold to?

It can be any carrier. The package is fully insured. It does not matter if the shipment is international or domestic. The buyer and seller know each other only by exchanged emails.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much was the item?

Worthy of a Stax O2.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

It can be any carrier. The package is fully insured. It does not matter if the shipment is international or domestic. The buyer and seller know each other only by exchanged emails.

What does the tracking information say?

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

The system shows that the package was delivered to the wrong address, and confirmed lost.

If it's wrong address and confirmed lost, the claim should have no problem going in your favor. I would reimburse the buyer in that case, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to wait until you filled the claim and had confirmation it will be paid (in the unlikelihood that the package was found in the interim). I'd ask the buyer if that was agreeable.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 20
Once shipper confirms case closed, refund being issued, u can refun buyer, until then tell buyer tracing-in-progress.

I do something simpler, I give buyer tracking# and let him deal with it.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 20
A buyer pays a seller money and expects an item delivered to his/her door. If this does not happen, the seller didn't live up to their end of the bargain.

In this instance, the courier chosen borked the process. The buyer did everything he was supposed to do. The seller sadly didn't (choosing a courier that would deliver it to the proper address).

The seller should refund the money to the buyer and the seller sadly has to go through the hoops of recooping the loss of his gear.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A buyer pays a seller money and expects an item delivered to his/her door. If this does not happen, the seller didn't live up to their end of the bargain.

In this instance, the courier chosen borked the process. The buyer did everything he was supposed to do. The seller sadly didn't (choosing a courier that would deliver it to the proper address).

The seller should refund the money to the buyer and the seller sadly has to go through the hoops of recooping the loss of his gear.

I agree. While it would be nice (as the Seller) to think that once the package has been left with the shipping company the Seller has completed their end of the deal, it doesn't work that way. Which is why I sweat every sale I make on this forum until I hear from the buyer that they have received their package and all is well.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 20
I do too. I really don't like the uncertainty. Unless I can deliver something myself, I'm always stressed until the buyer receives the item safe and sound. Even if delivered to the proper address, there is always the possibility that the item was damaged. Then comes the fun of trying to recoup the costs and from the horror stories I've read this can take months.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was a delivery date GUARANTEED?

Quote:

If carrier chosen was Bob's cousin OK, but any known shipper, tha't just life. In no way am saying it was buyer's fault, of course not. But s***t happends. Deal in good faith. Don't go berserk. That's it.

Quote:

Seller may choose to do that (why sad, it's just business) if he wants to keep his reputation 100% spotless.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 20
Although a delivery date is usually not guaranteed (though sometimes it is, some folks pay extra for overnight or 3 day delivery and expect that) but in this instance we are not just declaring it a DELAY the company itself is declaring it LOST because it was delivered to someone else.

That means this unit is no longer guaranteed to be in the condition it was sold in if it were ever to be retrieved (which it won't be because the company just wrote it off). This alone warrants a full refund.

Yet the fact that it has been declared lost means the company will issue payment to the seller based on the insured value. The buyer should not have to wait around for this.

It's not "just life" with any known shipper. The seller chose one courier and HE contracted a service with them, not the buyer. The courier is in breach of contract with the seller, not the buyer and the seller is in breach of contract with the buyer not the courier.

So, the buyer should immediately receive a refund, the seller should immediately receive a refund and the courier should suck up the costs.

In reality, the seller has to deal with the courier. That is unforunate but there is no ethical reason for witholding the money from the buyer.

I don't think anyone was mentioning going berserk, but there are ethical ways of doing business (if not legal) and in this instance, the buyer is the most aggrieved party and he should be compensated first. Again, the item never arrived to his door as contracted yet HIS money reached the seller as contracted.

It's a no brainer on how it should go, whether it will is a different question. This is why I always insist on insurance when selling. If the buyer doesn't pay the insurance he assumes the risk at that point, particularly if they also want the package marked down. No insurance or an undervalued item = I am guaranteed the money remains in my hands, the buyer now assumes any and all risks.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 20
i agree with zanth. it's the seller's responsibility to have the item delivered to the buyer under whatever conditions was agreed upon. obviously, it is not always in the seller's complete control since shipping must be taken into account. still, the seller should probably refund the money and then recoup that amount from the shipping company. or, if the seller and buyer agree to it, the buyer can wait until funds are recouped and then refunded back to the seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back