Sell Zen to get an A818?
Apr 7, 2008 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ring_wraith

Head-Fier
I currently own a Creative Zen and a pair of EP-630s. I really am not satisfied by the overall SQ I'm getting, as it's really muddy and the highs are way too harsh. This is not at all suited to a lot of the music I like [heavy metal, symphonic metal, death metal, alt rock, alt metal, rock, punk rock] as the instrumental separation reduces to a 'wall' of sound, and it makes the songs almost un-listenable.

So I've been reading around quite a bit and figured that the NWZ-A818 has awesome SQ.

The question is, is the difference in SQ enough to, like, make me go, "WOW! This rocks!"

If it is, then I'm positive I'll be trading my Zen for an A818. But remember that I'll be sacrificing a larger screen and a sleep timer. Both are important as I like to watch some TV shows on it and drift off to sleep while listening to my music. Not to mention SD expansion. But these are all sacrifices I would make without a second thought if I am being rewarded with better SQ.

Although I do love the fact that the A818 is virtually scratch-proof and is so darn slim.

Also, which has better battery life?

And, If I get the A818, I probably won't go for a new set of earphones. Will the overall SQ still be better than the Zen + EP-630?

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 27
Hi, I've also got the Zen and I think the SQ is not as worse as you describe. If I was you I should first invest in some decent earphones or headphones instead.

Or try to connect your Zen to your hi-fi set and see what happens with the sound.

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 27
Headphone first man.. Get some decent IEM or earbud, you can always get a better DAP later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 27
So a decent set of earphones with the Zen would lead to a better SQ than the NWZ with the stock earbuds?

Are you sure? Because I've actually used the NWZ-A808 [which has similar SQ] with my EP-630s and it did sound a lot less muddy.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 27
New IEMs wil definitely make the Zen sound better, but the Sony WILL make you go WOW! It even comes with decent canalphones (Sony EX82) so you won't have to upgrade right away. If you do though the Denon Headphones are great with the Sony:

Sony NWZ-A818

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but IMO zen SQ isn't very good. You could always get another DAP later. But this is head-fi man, headphone comes first. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the Sony WILL make you go WOW!

Now I'm confused. Final Word, what do I do?

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ring_wraith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm confused. Final Word, what do I do?

Do it!

Not saying that the Zen is bad in any way (haven't heard it, actually), but the A818 is awesome. Best portable sound I've ever heard. And the stock phones (MDR-EX082) are definitely the best pack-ins I've experienced, though they are easily beaten by my lovely Denon AH-C551s.

The only negative thing I can think of is that the A818 has some hiss, though it's only noticable when the music is extremely mellow, and it's completely silent around you. When the music is just a little louder it's impossible to hear, and the same goes if there's any noise in your surroundings. This is with the Denons. With the EX082s it's hard to hear any hiss at all (because they are less sensitive than the Denons, which is good in this way but bad in others).

Then there's the fact that the A818 has a smaller screen than the Zen, so it won't be as good for video playback. That doesn't mean video doesn't look good on it though, it looks great if you convert it correctly (AVC at 320x240, 30fps). It's just that the screen is a little small for watching an entire movie. But on the other hand, the small screen allows it to be extremely slim, sleek, and portable. It's so thin and light, but still feels very solid and well-built. No cheap, plastic feel here (which I kind of though the Zen had when I played around with a demo unit in a store).

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 27
@RoadHazard, thanks a lot. That really cleared up my head.

I completely agree when you say that the Zen feels cheap. If some-one tells you it isn't, don't believe them. It is. There is no way to escape that fact.

A 2-inch screen is good enough for watching 20-25 minute videos I guess. I never watch full-lengths on the Zen anyway, that's what my PSP is for.

I also happen to love Sony's sound signature. The clear yet warm thing has a lot going for it.

I'm almost positive I'm going to go ahead with it. Just need one or two more opinions. So fire away, please!

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ring_wraith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm almost positive I'm going to go ahead with it. Just need one or two more opinions. So fire away, please!

Random dude #1: Do it!
Random dude #2: Do it!

Just kidding.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 27
Someone at Atraclife had the Zen (while waiting for a 16GB Sony I think) and he said the sq was inferior compared with the 818/808. I think he returned the Zen!

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Random dude #1: Do it!
Random dude #2: Do it!

Just kidding.
wink.gif

lol... It's actually been running through my head even before I joined the forums. Stupid inferior Zen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back