Sell my JBL LSR308's for something smaller but just as good for $350?
Aug 21, 2016 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DADDYDC650

100+ Head-Fier
My brother wants to buy my JBL LSR308's. I love them but they are a little too big for my computer desk. I can sell them for $350 but only if I'm able to replace them with something smaller but just as good if not better. Thoughts? Only complains I have in regards to the JBL's are the size which is doable at best and the slight hissing. I'd like something smaller and something that's silent when nothing is playing.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sell my JBL LSR308's for something smaller but just as good for $350?

That's a tall (or as Starbucks calls it, "larger than Venti") order. Smaller and you give up bass response for example, and that's even if you spend more, much less if you don't. You'll have to accept that whatever you get regardless of price will, at minimum, have to sacrifice some of the bass response.

Only complains I have in regards to the JBL's are the size which is doable at best and the slight hissing. I'd like something smaller and something that's silent when nothing is playing.

As for the hissing, it could be from the upstream components. If you have a clean DAC and preamp there then that might clean it up. If it's coming from your computer and not simply from the JBL's amplifier, then chances are the next speaker you get if it's at least as sensitive to the input signal will also hiss.

My brother wants to buy my JBL LSR308's. I love them but they are a little too big for my computer desk. I can sell them for $350 but only if I'm able to replace them with something smaller but just as good if not better. Thoughts? Only complains I have in regards to the JBL's are the size which is doable at best and the slight hissing. I'd like something smaller and something that's silent when nothing is playing.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 8

That's a tall (or as Starbucks calls it, "larger than Venti") order. Smaller and you give up bass response for example, and that's even if you spend more, much less if you don't. You'll have to accept that whatever you get regardless of price will, at minimum, have to sacrifice some of the bass response.

As for the hissing, it could be from the upstream components. If you have a clean DAC and preamp there then that might clean it up. If it's coming from your computer and not simply from the JBL's amplifier, then chances are the next speaker you get if it's at least as sensitive to the input signal will also hiss.

The hissing is normal on these JBL's because of the amp that's built in. I was thinking of perhaps going with passive speakers with a seperate amp? I don't mind losing some BASS if I'm getting the same mids/highs or better. I can always add a sub down the line. Thanks for your response bud.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 8
  The hissing is normal on these JBL's because of the amp that's built in. I was thinking of perhaps going with passive speakers with a seperate amp? I don't mind losing some BASS if I'm getting the same mids/highs or better. I can always add a sub down the line. 

If you're open to just adding a sub later where will you put it though if the JBLs are too large on your desk? Note that in some cases putting the sub under the desk can actually cause phase issues and this isn't something that can be accurately predicted prior to actually setting it up. Unless of course you use a small sub, but then that wouldn't go down the deep bass far enough.

In any case the advantage with powered monitors, and particularly when they're active monitors, is that you have separate amp channels for the tweeter and midwoofer. The Bass and Treble knobs on these tend to be less of some kind of EQ and are actually gain controls on those separate channels, so it's easier to reduce the treble as a whole just by reducing the tweeter amps' gain relative to the midwoofer. Between an active monitor and passive speaker with same size or even slightly larger (much less smaller) midwoofers, it will be easier to squeeze more bass out of the active monitor. Or actually, you won't be adding bass, you're just reducing the treble. Basically, try to stick with active speakers, and then just choose the sub with the right inputs and outputs.

Look into something like the Swans D1010-IV - these use 4in midwoofers in compact cabinets. Use the rest of the cash to save up for a sub with line inputs and outputs.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 8

If you're open to just adding a sub later where will you put it though if the JBLs are too large on your desk? Note that in some cases putting the sub under the desk can actually cause phase issues and this isn't something that can be accurately predicted prior to actually setting it up. Unless of course you use a small sub, but then that wouldn't go down the deep bass far enough.

In any case the advantage with powered monitors, and particularly when they're active monitors, is that you have separate amp channels for the tweeter and midwoofer. The Bass and Treble knobs on these tend to be less of some kind of EQ and are actually gain controls on those separate channels, so it's easier to reduce the treble as a whole just by reducing the tweeter amps' gain relative to the midwoofer. Between an active monitor and passive speaker with same size or even slightly larger (much less smaller) midwoofers, it will be easier to squeeze more bass out of the active monitor. Or actually, you won't be adding bass, you're just reducing the treble. Basically, try to stick with active speakers, and then just choose the sub with the right inputs and outputs.

Look into something like the Swans D1010-IV - these use 4in midwoofers in compact cabinets. Use the rest of the cash to save up for a sub with line inputs and outputs.

I currently have speaker stands on both sides of the desk. I'd have no issues placing a sub somewhere near. I'd like to have my monitor, PC and speakers on my desk though.

I'll check out the Swans. Thanks for the suggestion bud.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 8
If you look for a similar sound signature to the 308s then the natural choice would be LSR305s. 
They fit your budget (you can get a pair around $300) and a lot of people are very happy with these. 
Hissing may still be there but if memory serves they are somewhat quieter than the 308s. 
The definite plus is they will be a plug and play solution and no surprises with different connectors etc.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 8
  If you look for a similar sound signature to the 308s then the natural choice would be LSR305s. 
They fit your budget (you can get a pair around $300) and a lot of people are very happy with these. 
Hissing may still be there but if memory serves they are somewhat quieter than the 308s. 
The definite plus is they will be a plug and play solution and no surprises with different connectors etc.

Seems like some people claim the LSR305's have a slight better sound because of the slightly tubby bass on the LSR308's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back