sell my DT770-80's for another amp?
Jun 21, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
My regular routine with the Plainviews in the SR71 was to swap out batts once a week, if not more. You get used to it - it's not like a remote control where you drop em in and forget em, it's more like a labour of love well worth a minute of my time here and there. Certainly an AC jack would be more convenient, but hey it was doable.

Yeah, but the plainviews in the SR-71 still get you around 20 hours, whereas I'd only be getting about 6, maybe 8 hours tops on rechargeables.

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Yeah, but the plainviews in the SR-71 still get you around 20 hours, whereas I'd only be getting about 6, maybe 8 hours tops on rechargeables.

I think it's cheaper in the long run to just toss all those nasty rechargeables and get some real Plainviews from Norm then - or those Mahas I keep hearing about. It's worth it!

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I think it's cheaper in the long run to just toss all those nasty rechargeables and get some real Plainviews from Norm then - or those Mahas I keep hearing about. It's worth it!

Norm doesn't have the plainviews anymore, so I'd have to go with some Mahas and a charger there. Even so, whether it's Maha or plainview, I'd only be getting 6-8 hours on any type of rechargeable, which would be even more of a pain in the butt than goign through alkalines every 12-15 hours, but at least I'd be saving money on batteries.

Swapping the Pimeta for the PCII still seems like a very viable option. I suppose I should check out prices on ac adaptors for the Pimeta too.

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hey... have you considered mod'ing your pimeta. A typical 9V NIMH is only ~180mah, but they go on up to ~300mah I believe. Two of those in parallel would give nearly 600mah @ 9V, at the expense of some portability.

Have you considered NIMH CR123 cells? Theyre small (about 2/3 size of a 9V) and 3 in series would give 9V... the advantage is their capacity which I believe is around 800mah.

Ive got 2 9V cells inseries my g-moy, their capacity is only ~180mah... so if Im not happy with them Im going to wire up a bank of six CR123 cells for 18V and 800mah.

?????
Garrett

Garrett-
I'm wondering if you're NIMH CR123 battery idea would work in an external battery pack? If I could find someone to rig something up, I could just plug it into the power jack on the side of the Pimeta. I found some li-ion CR123's that would work great... I wonder how I would charge them though... perhaps a jack on the side of the battery pack that I could use to plug them into something like an Elpac?

Or even 6 rechargeable AA's would get me 9V, right? And I could get some that are 2500 mah a piece too... I just have NO knowledge on how to put something like that together... maybe one of the builders like JMT would be able to do something like that?

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #20 of 26
How about buying the PCII, keeping the Beyers and rolling the PCII opamp untill you find a 'Happy place' similar to the Pimeta?
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #21 of 26
Can the PCII opamp be rolled?

Jun 21, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #23 of 26
Definately keep the beyer's, I prefer my HD650's and SR-325's to my old pair, but for metal, movies and games, the beyers hold their own, or even beat out the much more expensive headphones. I just couldn't justify keeping them at the time. I'll probably end up with a pair of K240's for games and movies along with yet another DIY amp.

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 26
Well, you guys will be happy to know that I kept the DT770-80's, but also bought the DT250-250's, as well as the Porta Corda Mk II. I've decided that it's not worth the frustration and wondering if I should keep this amp or that amp, this pair of headphones or another, so I bit the bullet and paid the $120 for the PCII. I should have it by the weekend.

I'm trying out the DT250-250's now - very clear sounding, I think they'll be a nice balanced alternative to the DT770-80's... Can't wait to get home and try them against each other..

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #25 of 26
whoa you splurged! sorry about your wallet! i think it's time for the phrase...

"Congrats! Now run far far away from here and don't look back!"

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 26
The only splurge was getting the PCII without selling the Pimeta. Right now listening with the Pimeta and unburned-in DT250's, it's a hair bright, but that's to be expected. I think the PCII will be a perfect match for the DT250's when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back