Sell AKG K612 Pro and get a Fidelio X1?
Aug 28, 2014 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

1haxor

New Head-Fier
I will have to sell my K612s for 90-100 euros and the X1 is 130 euros.
I am unsure now as on the forum that i usually ask all kinds of questions they say that i shouldn't do it.

Not sure who i should trust.
Here is the link to the thread in the other forum.

I will mainly be playing TF2 and listening to music (idk which music, i just search for top music on youtube and / or 1 dubstep remix track i like.
I need to be able to hear all the sounds in tf2 so it would be highly appreciated if someone could recommend me a sub $250 / sub 200 euro pair of headphones that tick that one box.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 9
are you directly using them with your pc/laptop/phone without an amp??? 612pro sound best with a good amp/dac combo.  anyway I wouldn't recommend using them just to watch low quality youtube videos...

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 9
are you directly using them with your pc/laptop/phone without an amp??? 612pro sound best with a good amp/dac combo.  anyway I wouldn't recommend using them just to watch low quality youtube videos...

That's all i do though (and gaming ofc) xD
I am using my onboard audio solution (supreme fx iii (alc 889)). I do have to push it to about 50-60 (windows sound controller) to get comfy listening levels.

Btw, the guy with the custom one pros responded and he is willing to sell them to me for 95 euros. IDK what i'd do with them though xD

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 9

That's all i do though (and gaming ofc) xD
I am using my onboard audio solution (supreme fx iii (alc 889)). I do have to push it to about 50-60 (windows sound controller) to get comfy listening levels.

Btw, the guy with the custom one pros responded and he is willing to sell them to me for 95 euros. IDK what i'd do with them though xD

I don't think any onboad solution would do any justice to 612. you need to have a proper amp to drive them properly. and the other thing is if your source is low quality youtube videos, then there is no point getting any hi-end audio gear, because you won't get any audio quality improvement with that. just $30 headphone would do just fine with those low quality recordings.  but if you willing to listen to high quality recordings with a proper amp/dac then headphones like 612pro is for you..

custom one pro will probably sound good without an amp but it won't be an upgrade for the 612pro. if you are looking for a headphone that can drive without an amp, then hd558,hd598,ma900,Fidelio X1 can be good options, if you want a closed back option then look in to Custom one pro, M50, Soundmagic HP100/150.. but remember none of those options would be an upgrade to a properly amped 612pro...   

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 9

I don't think any onboad solution would do any justice to 612. you need to have a proper amp to drive them properly. and the other thing is if your source is low quality youtube videos, then there is no point getting any hi-end audio gear, because you won't get any audio quality improvement with that. just $30 headphone would do just fine with those low quality recordings.  but if you willing to listen to high quality recordings with a proper amp/dac then headphones like 612pro is for you..

custom one pro will probably sound good without an amp but it won't be an upgrade for the 612pro. if you are looking for a headphone that can without an amp, then hd558,hd598,ma900,Fidelio X1 can be good options, if you want a closed back option then look in to Custom one pro, M50, Soundmagic HP100/150.. but remember none of those options would be an upgrade to a properly amped 612pro...   

I asked if i need an amp before buying it (on LTT forums and here on headfi) and they all said i don't need an amp.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 9
I asked if i need an amp before buying it (on LTT forums and here on headfi) and they all said i don't need an amp.

I'm not sure who advised you that 612 can drive without an amp, but whoever gave you that advise is terribly misinformed.. that's why I don't usually recommend 612pro for newcomers unless you have an amp with right power capability and synergy.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Hmmmm, whoever said 'no amp' is not providing good information. These headphones, while low impedance, have a low sensitivity. Getting an amp with enough power will provide a much cleaner sound with less distortion, better frequency extension, better driver control, and help you get a better sound from your K612's. A clean DAC can do a lot to help with that too. If you can't afford a proper amp (maybe a DAC too), then perhaps switching to an easier to drive headphone will do you some favors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back