Self-repair of Shure e4?
Jan 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DJShadow

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone here has repaired a pair of Shures before? My e4 has gone defective and I'm well beyond the warrant period. I can't afford to upgrade or even buy an equivalent IEM, so my choices are a dodgy e4 or iBuds
redface.gif

The problem I have is the right channel cuts out intermittently and I've determined that this is due to the cable having a break or something near the jack end (funny, I have the same problem with my SA5000 as well
rolleyes.gif
). Soooo does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 4
If it's near the jack, it's just a matter of changing the cable. Cut it, solder a new cable, add some heat shrink, done.

Edit: I've done this myself on a pair of AKG K24Ps with similar cable problems.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Oh no! Dude, those were mine.
frown.gif

I'm sorry to read this but as mape00 recommends, cutting off the bad jack and soldering a new one isn't too difficult. Just take your time and don't get amped up on caffeine beforehand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no! Dude, those were mine.
frown.gif

I'm sorry to read this but as mape00 recommends, cutting off the bad jack and soldering a new one isn't too difficult. Just take your time and don't get amped up on caffeine beforehand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, they've already lasted longer than the e3c I had before.

I think I may have found a non-invasive fix. I've coiled up the wire near the jack and wrapped it tightly with a rubber band which seems to have done the job
beerchug.gif

Cheers guys, hopefully I won't have to bust the soldering iron out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back