Oct 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PedroH

100+ Head-Fier
My current office system is the following:
- MacBookPro playing Apple lossless via iTunes
- Meier Stagedac (dac)
- Meier Concerto (headphone amplifier)
- Beyerdynamic T1 (headphones)

I know zero about cables. Today i'm using fairly cheap IXO interconnect cables.

What cable should I use to connect the Dac to the Amplifier to improve my sound quality? Money is not a restriction up to 500€ as long as the cables deliver relevant sound quality improvement.

If you could justify you recommendation I would appreciate.

Thanks, Pedro

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 13
I would use copper cables with the Concerto. I have the Kimber Silver Streaks hooked up to my tube amp and in that application they are fabulous, but with the Concerto, they come off a bit bright. Instead I use the Kimber Hero RCAs (and the DiMarzio RCAs), both are copper interconnects and sound just great. If I had to choose between them, I'd take the Kimber Heros (but they do cost 2-3x more).

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks. I'm using IXOS PC-OFC (Pure Crystal Oxygen-Free Copper) Twisted-Pair.

Should I expect a relevant sound improvement with an upgrade?

Pedro

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Based on MacedonianHero recommendation, I bought a pair of Kimber Hero interconnects.

I was using AR Pro II before, and after I connected the Kimbers, I thougt it was super bright. But after a few hours of burn-in they are definitely a lot better. Songs that used to sound bright are not anymore and the bass has improved a lot (it kind reminds me of my now broken JH-13).

I'm using the same combo, T1 + Concerto. Only the DAC is differente (mine is HRT Streamer II+).

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the Meier Opera and use the HRT Streamer + as a source.

I would recommend Cardas cables.  In your budget, the Quadlink 5-C for interconnects, and the Cardas USB Clear.  

As far as my reasons why I use their cables, they just sound more convincing and truthful.  Silver cables can be a little thin sounding, and other copper cables I've tried always round things over or blur the lines.  Cardas does not in my experience.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 13
The Cardas and Furutech USBs are both very good.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Based on MacedonianHero recommendation, I bought a pair of Kimber Hero interconnects.

I was using AR Pro II before, and after I connected the Kimbers, I thougt it was super bright. But after a few hours of burn-in they are definitely a lot better. Songs that used to sound bright are not anymore and the bass has improved a lot (it kind reminds me of my now broken JH-13).

I'm using the same combo, T1 + Concerto. Only the DAC is differente (mine is HRT Streamer II+).

Great...all you need is a PS Audio DLIII and we'll have identical setups. 
smile.gif
  I feel that they (Kimber Heros) are quite nice and let the music threw.  I did have the DiMarzio RCAs and liked them too, but just kept coming back to the Kimber Heros...great interconnects for the Concerto.

For my MAD tube amp, I'm using Kimber Silver Streaks...a great match for tubes.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
DiMarzio cables are great for the money.  There not the best, but they don't telegraph any obvious flaws, which is always important.

Absolutely correct...great value for sure! And their construction is SOLID!

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
The Cardas and Furutech USBs are both very good.

Do you notice any difference in sound quality depending on the USB cable being used?

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 13

I have chosen these cables for my Meier system: http://www.artisansilvercables.com/ultimate.htm

After listening with the silver cables for several hours, the sound quality improvement is very noticeable for me.

Sound is much more transparent, detailed and direct (comparatively, the coper IXOS sounds veiled, a bit muddy) and fast / dynamic in sound transitions / instrument separation. Also it seems that I listen louder, as if the amp got more powerful.

Improvement is more relevant for treble than for bass but is noticeable across the frequency range.

Naturally, I do not know if the improvement is merit of the new cables or demerit of the IXOS.

All the best, Pedro

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 13
Considering the Concerto/Stagedac/T1 setup, should the Kimber Hero RCAs (or DiMarzio RCAs) provide significant improvement over the Meier Audio RCA-to-RCA interconnects (http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/cables.htm)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back