Selecting Headphones
Jan 11, 2005 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

j3tang

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, and I am a newb when it comes to audio stuff.
I wanted to purchase a set of headphones that I would primarily use with my laptop that's running on a Sigma Tel sound card, and occasionally with my MD player.

I believe the lower impedance on a headphone the better because i would not have an amp, correct? As to what exactly the impedance should be, I don't know how to tell. I guess ... is there something in the specs of the MD and the audio card that could tell me how much power is supplied and then in turn i can select an appropriate impedance? Is this the proper way to go about this or could someone explain to me what i should be looking for?

Thank you everyone.

Jack

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi Jack!

"Wellcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet!!!"
eggosmile.gif

Can you tell us your budget? And what music you listen mostly? Have you other "headphone experiences"?

However, you speak about laptop headphone output and md player... I think I can suggest the Sennheiser PX100, small, cheap, great sounding (for the money), foldable and durable.

Bye
Andrea

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 12
well, it's not so much the issue about $$
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a newb when it comes to audio stuff, i've got a pair of aiwa pipe phones at the moment (i'm not looking for in-ear headphones, but the supra-aural, over the ear, headphones) .. and i listen to some pop and some classical/orchestra stuff while i study ...

Rather than recommendations for headphones ... I was more curious about what sorta impedance ranges i should be looking at ...

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Impedence can be a factor... it depends on how well your amp or in this case sound card behaves with different impedence loads. My Audio technica amp does not like low impedence loads. It'll power them just fine, but the S/N ratio drops dramatically. my EX51 is unlistenable. 60 ohms and above the noise is inaudible.

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 12
If money are not an issue, go with Grado! The entry level SR-60 is unbeatable at the price.

Andre

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 12
so ... what should i be looking for in my sound card?? what are some of the specs i should pay attention to?

I've taken a look at several headphones, the Grado SR60 as some have already mentioned and a couple more.

What makes the SR60 a good recommendation? Is it because of the low impedance and decent response ?

and by sensitivity, you meant the frequency response, right?

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 12
My first pair of "good" cans were the SR60's, and I still get a kick out of them, even compared to my higher end cans.
They're solid, fun, and will spoil you for all the stock phones you may have owned till now.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by j3tang
What makes the SR60 a good recommendation? Is it because of the low impedance and decent response ?

and by sensitivity, you meant the frequency response, right?

The Sr-60 sounds ridicolously good for thei price, they can stand with headphones costing several times their price. They are also easily driven, they have a very equilibrated, warm and musical response, not decent, but VERY good. What make them an outsider is their astonishing musicality, when I had the opportunity to buy the Sennheiser HD650 I made several comparison with my Grado Sr-60 before go for the Senns, and I have to admit that, even if HD650 is superior in all aspects, in musicality, well... I'm not sure which is the winner...
icon10.gif

bye
Andrea

Jan 17, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 12
it's quite reassuring to see so many people agreeing on one headphone and i will trust you guys with it
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I recall seeing that Grado products are rather difficult to get a hold of, because there are very few distributors, am I correct?

Another set of headphones that I see a lot about are the Sony D66 Eggo ... i see a lot of mixed responses about them; some swear by them and say they are great for a low/mid range set of headphones, but I also see some say that they are overpriced and not worth they kind of money ... etc ...

The D66 definetly look nicer to me than the SR60, but I guess that's also part of the style that Sony employs, by selling form over function .. I'm guessing everyone believes the SR60 to be "better" all-round ? I know I used the word "better" rather loosely ....... but please forgive my ignorance ..
biggrin.gif

EDIT::Also, about the D66, do they cover up the ear, or do they just sit on your ear? I'd prefer to have my ears covered, rather than have something on it ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back