Seiko is a great watch
Mar 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I have talked about Rolex watches and they are great. But you don't need to spend $7000 on a great watch. One of my all time favorite watches is the Seiko 5 automatic mechanical watch and it's only $50 and designed to last a lifetime. It's kind of like the Toyota Corolla of watches. It's been around for a long time and has a proven track record for longevity and will probably out live you. So yeah, I love Rolex but honestly, I'm happy with my $50 Seiko 5.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 13
8 years worn pretty much 24/7. It will have to do until I can afford the Seiko Snowflake. 
tongue.gif

Never serviced because it costs like half the value of the watch here in Australia, I wonder how long it'll last until it kicks the bucket.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 13
You don´t need to spend any money on watches at all here is smart phones that can do much more for a much lower cost :)

Watches are redundant.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Code:
8 years worn pretty much 24/7. It will have to do until I can afford the Seiko Snowflake. :p

Never serviced because it costs like half the value of the watch here in Australia, I wonder how long it'll last until it kicks the bucket.

Yeah the Grand Seiko snowflakes are nice. I've heard this one report of a guy who has had his cheap Seiko watch since 1977 and never serviced it and it still works. I plan to keep my Seiko watch as a life long experiment to see if it will ever kick the bucket. I probably will service it though even though it will cost more than the watch because it's not about the money. It's more of a fascination thing.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 13
  Yeah the Grand Seiko snowflakes are nice. I've heard this one report of a guy who has had his cheap Seiko watch since 1977 and never serviced it and it still works. I plan to keep my Seiko watch as a life long experiment to see if it will ever kick the bucket. I probably will service it though even though it will cost more than the watch because it's not about the money. It's more of a fascination thing.

A major service here costs around $160 and includes repair of the movement + gaskets and water testing. I figure there's no point in sending it in every year or two as recommended, it's just money down the drain, best to wait until it fails catastrophically.

The sapphire window was in perfect condition for the first 5 years.....until I may or may not have worn it while working with diamond files and polishing compound. It's scratched to hell now, I don't really mind it though, adds character.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 13
I think the average recommendation for mechanical watch service is about every 7-12 years depending on the watch. I think for a typical Seiko watch, it does not need servicing very often.

I think it's because they are generally designed to be marketed to people who have no idea about watches so they are probably engineered to be more long running in my estimation.

I did have an old 1958 Buluva watch serviced that I bought from ebay and it was $100. I also recently had the glass replaced on my Swiss Army watch because I accidently shattered it and it was around $60.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 13
  You don´t need to spend any money on watches at all here is smart phones that can do much more for a much lower cost :)

Watches are redundant.

I used to wear a watch religiously since I was a child up until a few years ago, because of what you just mentioned. I'm always aware of the time cause I'm always looking at either a phone, tablet, or computer screen. I spent most of my life with a watch tan line. Not anymore!

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Analog watches are the best... you can see what time it is, what time it was, and what time it's going to be. Smart phones and tablets, pah. You can't beat the simple elegance of a good wrist watch. And what are you going to do when your smart phone battery runs out? You're going to ask a sophisticated gentleman wearing a wristwatch for the time that's what. I'd set my watch and warrant on it. 
From the mouth of the great Rocky Balboa, "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!".

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 13
Well I think it all depends on the person in the end. There have been times when I did not care what time it was and it was wonderful and care free. I wore no watch and I did not have a cell phone. I was a free bird out in nature and it was great. Having no sense of time and living in the moment is best. But unfortunately, we live in the real world with responsibilities.

But watches will never go out of style because good quality ones are designed to last a life time. A computer screen is not a hundred percent reliable in realistic situations especially in situations where you are prohibited from looking at screens. I love military watches and the designs are cool. Does a soldier or a helicopter pilot have time to look at a screen during crucial moments? No, ergonomically, the wrist is best.

Did James Bond look for a clock or a screen during the crucial moments? No he looked at his watch because ergoniically, the wrist is best to know the proper time to blow up the enemies.

Does a president or leader of a country look at his iPhone or blackberry to see what time it is? No that's what nerds do.

Does a man with the coolest watch get the hottest chicks? You bet.

Anyway, here's a video look of the inside of an analog Seiko watch. Enjoy!

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KbJEjSdU5Xg[/VIDEO]

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Wrong on a lot of accounts. There is hardly a president out there without a blackberry :)

Soldiers will have HUDs to get crucial information without looking at a stupid watch.

Chicks are not impressed by watches maybe helps if you are gay :)

But yes it´s cool engineering though analogue is medieval and there is to many moving parts. I think digital can be made to last much longer.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Yep... love mine.  I have "technically" better watches and more expensive watches yet these Seikos see a lot of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back