Segways are recalled
Sep 27, 2003 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vrao81

500+ Head-Fier
Link at CNN
Looks like this is the end for this silly contraption. Now all the dumb yuppies who were suckered into buying this POS have to send it back. But fear not there will be a hip new 'toy' for these peeps soon enough..mark my words.
I think the Segway will go down as one of the most infamous consumer products ever, up there with the Edsel and Bose
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 13
I think they're kind of cool and I wish I knew someone that had one so I could try it. I would never spend $5k on a toy like that though.

According to the article they just need a software upgrade, they are not being withdrawn from the market. Yuppies take heart.

MJ

Sep 27, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 13
To me a recall means you have to return the product. This is just a software update. Seems CNN is making it appear worse than it is. "In one incident, the user sustained a head injury requiring stitches" - I have received stitches from a bicycle crash when I stopped too fast! And even once when I stopped to late....
wink.gif

I like the idea of a Segway, BUT, $5000 for a toy? Too steep a hill for this stepper. Hats off to the inventor though.

Sep 27, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by flipzter
Seems CNN is making it appear worse than it is.

I think thats standard operating procedure at CNN with all news, and I think the same is true for all media here in the U.S., nothing is ever presented without some kind of alteration or embelishment.

On another note, I think the Segway is an awesome little contraption and I love the creativity behind it.
smily_headphones1.gif
The only thing holding it back I think is its steep price.

Sep 27, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

I like the idea of a Segway, BUT, $5000 for a toy? Too steep a hill for this stepper. Hats off to the inventor though.

IMO they aren't toys... plenty of potential professional uses for those things (large warehouses, possible use by law enforcement or gov't agencies, etc). Any situation where you need to get from one place to another at faster than walking speed... I do agree they were overhyped when they first came out, tho. They aren't going to remake the world, but they are useful contraptions for some professional uses (and maybe for personal use if the price ever falls).

Sep 27, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

To me a recall means you have to return the product. This is just a software update. Seems CNN is making it appear worse than it is

and

Quote:

Originally posted by SteeleBlayde
I think thats standard operating procedure at CNN with all news, and I think the same is true for all media here in the U.S., nothing is ever presented without some kind of alteration or embelishment.

Um... maybe you guys need to look up what "recall" means
wink.gif
When you're talking about consumer products, "recall" means to request return (of a product) to the manufacturer, as for necessary repairs or adjustments. (Thank you American Heritage Dictionary.) So CNN's headline -- Segways recalled; Two-wheeled Human Transporters recalled for power-use problem that could cause them to topple -- is 100% accurate.

Sep 27, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Hehehehe. Who would want to ride on a piece of crap like that anyway. Looks like a death trap to me.

Looks like one of the props from "The Jetsons"
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
IMO they aren't toys... plenty of potential professional uses for those things (large warehouses, possible use by law enforcement or gov't agencies, etc).

*imagines seing a thief running away, trailed by 2 police officers on special segeways with siren, flashing lights and police colors, with one hand on the steer and one hand waving a baton in the air, yelling "stop! stop!"*

maybe it would be effective since the thief would laugh too hard to be able to run

Sep 27, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Hehehehe. Who would want to ride on a piece of crap like that anyway. Looks like a death trap to me.

Looks like one of the props from "The Jetsons"
biggrin.gif

They had one on show / for trial at the Stuff show in London today... looks kinda cool... but, why? lol

Sep 27, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
They had one on show / for trial at the Stuff show in London today... looks kinda cool... but, why? lol

I'm gonna buy one. I'll just wait and let 'em iron out the bugs. Like any other technology, the price will come down eventually.

cool.gif

Sep 28, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 13
i saw someone on a Segway yesterday afternoon in Soho Manhattan yesterday. i didn't know whether to oogle or laugh!
biggrin.gif
the problem was the guy was not going any faster than pedestrian traffic because of the sea of people surrounding him, all of them grumpy and going off in different directions and cusing the guy off on the Segway for blocking traffic! the guy should know better than piloting this yuppified toy down Broadway on a busy shoppers paradise Saturday afternoon. the Segway guy was looking mighty disgruntled himself. i mean... if he was smart, he would've Segwayed himself down on the less crowded Lafayette Avenue which runs parallel to Broadway. it's not like he was using his legs (and energy) to walk an extra block east.

the Segway would work wonderfully on Suburban streets, or even some parts of the outer boroughs like Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island, where maybe the supermarket is too long of a walk but too short for a drive. but on the crowded streets of Manhattan, it doesn't make ANY sense, especially when EVERYTHING is so near, and public transportation is aplenty.

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Thank you American Heritage Dictionary

I love my American Heritage College dictionary too.

:love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back