Seems like my Zune 80 is dead
Nov 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I bought it the day they were released and never used it a ton, but I was using it to work out with (with the M604 speakers). I didn't keep up with charging it as much as I should have, and this last time it fully drained seemed to kill it. Can't get it to turn on, can't get it to charge. I tried the outlet charger and the regular USB charge method to no avail.

So, I guess I need a new DAP. I'm a bit out of the loop for the best sounding ones, but I'd prefer something that sounds great, has a nice form factor, and at least 30GB of storage. Might be nice to "upgrade" to a touch screen version, but it's not necessary. I'd also like to spend less than $300.

Any suggestions? No iPods either.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Did you try a reset? My Zune80 seemed to be dead a couple of times after a complete battery drain, but a reset brought it back. At least the reset worked for me. Here are some other ideas.

How to Reset Your Zune: 4 steps - wikiHow

Zune Insider

Why not ZuneHD? iPod Touch 3G sounds pretty good (I had a 2G and SQ was excellent in my opinion) and is the best touchscreen in terms of wifi/web browsing. But staying under $300 is the problem. The Touch 3GB 32GB is $279 on Amazon, but the same capacity for the Sony X is $354 on Amazon. The Sony has very good SQ, but is a failure when it comes to wifi use.

Zune won't turn on | Zune.net - Thread

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 10
I'll check those links, I tried what I remembered to be the reset method but maybe I did it wrong.

The ZuneHD seems to have too much of an iffy following in the SQ department, I want something that most everyone agrees sounds amazing. I don't really need wifi and all that crap, I don't like browsing on such a tiny screen.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 10
how much did you put it in charge?my zune120 when the battery is fully drained takes about 10 minutes to wake up.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 10
I left it plugged into the AC unit while I worked out, so about an hour. Then I plugged it into my PC for another 20 minutes. Never saw the battery symbol to show it was very low, and it never "woke" up. PC didn't recognize it either, much like the link you posted.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll check those links, I tried what I remembered to be the reset method but maybe I did it wrong.

The ZuneHD seems to have too much of an iffy following in the SQ department, I want something that most everyone agrees sounds amazing. I don't really need wifi and all that crap, I don't like browsing on such a tiny screen.

I know what you mean about the ZuneHD, and I am one who would like to see an EQ on the Zunes. If you don't care about wifi, then get the Sony X, but in my view, it's overpriced. There is a new Sony player coming out in Japan that has the same Digital amp as the Sony X series but without the wifi/touchscreen, just not sure if and when it will be sold in the US or anywhere else. But if you want 32GB or more, the options are limited.

How about this? You can get an 8GB Clip+ with a 16GB microSDHC slot, and get 24GBs. I have that setup and really like it. Total cost is about $120. Or an 8GB Fuze with 16GB card, same total but with more of a GUI.

When you are talking great SQ and under $300 (but more than 32GB storage), options are limited unless you move into an amp/LOD setup.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Hmm... I just tried that first link now that I'm home, flicked the hold switch a few times, blew out the connector port with my RocketBlower and plugged it into my PC and I got the battery charging symbol... Looks like it's working now.

Thanks for the links
smily_headphones1.gif
I was doing the reset correctly, not sure why it works now unless some chalk got into the port or something.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Well, I bought it the day they were released and never used it a ton, but I was using it to work out with (with the M604 speakers). I didn't keep up with charging it as much as I should have, and this last time it fully drained seemed to kill it. Can't get it to turn on, can't get it to charge. I tried the outlet charger and the regular USB charge method to no avail.

So, I guess I need a new DAP. I'm a bit out of the loop for the best sounding ones, but I'd prefer something that sounds great, has a nice form factor, and at least 30GB of storage. Might be nice to "upgrade" to a touch screen version, but it's not necessary. I'd also like to spend less than $300.

Any suggestions? No iPods either.

The Cowon S9 could be a good choice. The 32G is under $300, so it's more in your budget than the Sony X. I do like the sound of the X that extra bit better, and the touch screen interface on the Sony is much more user friendly and snappy. But I can't see where you'd go wrong with either. The S9 is quite good, good enough in fact that I am keeping it and the X.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cowon S9 could be a good choice. The 32G is under $300, so it's more in your budget than the Sony X. I do like the sound of the X that extra bit better, and the touch screen interface on the Sony is much more user friendly and snappy. But I can't see where you'd go wrong with either. The S9 is quite good, good enough in fact that I am keeping it and the X.

I actually was looking at the S9 a couple months backs because it seemed pretty cool. In general I'd like a large screen, I like the way the plays display artist info and such. and I'm not sure the Clip or Fuze has that, I'd have to check them.

As of now the Zune is finally on and charging.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I actually was looking at the S9 a couple months backs because it seemed pretty cool. In general I'd like a large screen, I like the way the plays display artist info and such. and I'm not sure the Clip or Fuze has that, I'd have to check them.

As of now the Zune is finally on and charging.

The screen of the S9 is definitely large and brilliant. Great for displaying album art. It makes me glad I went through all of my collection and re-tagged everything so the art shows up.

Glad the Zune seems to be powering up okay now, hope it continues to work properly. Unexpected expenditures like that are never fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back