Seems I've got a baaad virus, What you guys think?
Apr 26, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

porfryrieggwo

Head-Fier
Well its finally happened to me. I was tricked into installing a virus by some cheap freebie program. Now my computer is just slowly getting worse and worse. Internet explorer will pop up 37 windows, things wont open anymore, i cant right click.

(cant wait till June to buy my first mac)

Well for now, im downloading vista (shhh) and using my activation key from the current version this computer came with, and i hope it works.

AVG virus removal wont install itself on my computer because of some errors about registry.

Anyone know of some good free virus removal? or Trial versions that will get rid of this virus for free?

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 17
lol, what program did you install.
one thing i would suggest is unplug internet, go to safe mode and run your current anti virus (and if you did not have one then you really were asking for this, along with not having a recovery disk) also, you might want to do a system restore before the program. everyone know that if you download anything, have a good firewall+antivirus+antispyware+antimalware. my avg does a brilliant job. 0 viruses for the amount of junk i download.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 17
It's not necessarily a virus, just some form of malware.
Try Ad-Aware. It's my favorite, and I use it every time when fixing a friend's computer. (Ad-Aware SE Personal did a more thorough job, though.)
There's also Avira, which is an anti-virus program like AVG, but better.
You might also want to try a registry cleaner like this.
To prevent future viruses, get a firewall. Many people say that Comodo is great, but it gave my ThinkPad the BSoD and messed up ThinkVantage, Access Connections, and wireless connectivity.. I'd suggest the ZoneAlarm firewall. (Though, I've only used it with XP, but it's great.)

This thread over at NBR provides even more programs that can help you.

And most importantly, don't use Internet Explorer. It's too susceptible to malware.
Firefox and Opera completely pwn IE.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 17
Ah was in the middle of typing a response when everyone just closed out.

Well I'm going to try your suggestions, and i was downloading some torrented alarm clock for my computer.

Yeah, I kept putting off making those recovery discs >.<
And my computer either decided to delete all my restore points or convinced me it was making them but never did all along...

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 17
Alright, I was installing Avira and it asked me to reboot.

Now when the computer turns on all it is, is a black screen with the words GRUB.

If i manually load off the drive with the OS (vista) on it, it says Grub 1.5
FAILED TO LOAD 7
or something like that errrr.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 17
GRUB is a bootloader with a graphical interface. (Do you have Linux on that machine? I thought GRUB was only used for Linux..)

To fix GRUB, I think you can do the following.
Download Super Grub Disk from here:
Super Grub Disk Official Webpage
Then follow the instructions here:
IllustratedDualBootSuperGrubDiskPage

Seems to be some pretty nasty malware :/
Hopefully this works.. If it does, first try booting Windows from your hard drive. If that doesn't work, try making a Vista installation disc and follow the instructions here:
Windows Vista Help: Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 17
ah should have check the forum earlier, right now Im reinstalling Fedora to try to fix the BootLoader, I hope this does not wipe windows off. But i could have sworn it just went through a process called Formatting :O

If it does not fix it, ill download that Super grub, thanks for the link!

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find a utility and write ones and zeros to the drive after removing the partition. Reload your OS.

x2. Excessive but it works.

Darik's Boot and Nuke is my preferred zeroing application.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, a virus like that replicates so quickly that repairing it I fear will just frustrate and anger you. Make sure when you wipe the drive that you ditch the partition and blast the drive, if you don't remove the partition and simply format and reinstall then you will still have the virus.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 17
I was very close to this Gordon. Luckly I kept useding different removal programs which would all fail until I came accross one that finally did the job. Its Called ComboFix.exe that i downloaded.
The trojan I had was called Vundo, short for something but i forgot. A nastly little virus that plants itself places and starts making changes to the registry. Its notorious for being hard to get rid of but apparently the program i used wiped it out.

Thanks for the aid everyone!

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 17
Great to see that you got rid of it!

May 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 17
I had Vundo just a few days ago, not even sure how I got it. NOD32 found it but couldn't stop it. The only program that did the trick for me was the freeware Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

May 3, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Spybot Search and Destroy is definitely the best free virus program. If this fails, then back up your critical info and do a system restore. This worked for me when I had a bad virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back