Seeking Vocal Microphone assistance!
Mar 7, 2002 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Osaire

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a vocal microphone for use with a computer, so preferably a minijack or 1/4". I don't know if they make adapters for the XLR type connections. Ran into an old friend who of course wants me to start singing again after 5 years of not doing so. Don't really want to spend a ton of money right now...especially considering I lack it!
wink.gif

Any recommendations would be very helpful, tia.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 8
So how much is "not a ton of money?"

Mar 7, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Well that does present a bit of a challenge for true excellence.

I think the AKG D880 can be had for under a C note and it should do pretty nicely for vocals. If you want true excellence and versatility at bargain prices try out the AKG C1000S.For vocals alone I've found the Electrovoice N-Dym series to be excellent performers although their working distance is not as great as the AKG. The N-Dyms range in price from under $150 to around $300. Although Audix is recommended by many, I do not care for their sound as recording mics, they're ok for sound reinforcement. You can always spend more and get better, but these mics bring the best bang for the buck IMHO.

Happy listening, singing, recording!!

Mar 7, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you very much for the advice! I had one other question... I believe Best Buy has a couple Audio-Technica mics, I remember the model of one was called "BARK" ($75 or $99 I believe) but the others I can't get atm because their website is down. Do you happen to know anything about that mic? I ask because I have about $50 in gift certs at Best Buy that I have nothing to do with.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I don't know anything about that particular mic, but a few years ago I had occasion to use a few of the (I think it was ATH40) inexpensive AT mics. They were servicable, but they sounded peaky (around 4kHz) and the paint flaked off and they looked terrible in a couple years, but hey, they were only around 50 bux each. If you can, buy where you have return priveleges.

Mar 8, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back