Seeking source to complete my new system. (schiit valhalla + K701)
Jan 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm running a $1000 budget here, so less the amp and depending on the headphones I have around $350-400 to play with here for a source.I am seeking a unit with multiple digital inputs so i can attach my computers optical output, as well as the digital output of a disc source (currently an lg blu-ray player)

I would also be open to a CD player that can accept an additional digital input, or a CD player + a DAC working together for this amount of money.

I have previously owned a Marantz and a Music Hall CD player, as well as a zhalou DAC which seemed sufficient.

Since I've been gone for a couple years here I'm relying on you all for input, thanks in advance!

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 7
A used Stello DA100, perhaps?  When I bought it new I believe it was around $600 or so, and it was definitely worth it.  I would see if you could find a used one in the $400 range.  Even if you had to go a little bit over, it would definitely be worth it.  It isn't the most high-end DAC, but it has optical (2 if I'm not mistaken) and coax inputs.  I'm talking about the original version of the DA100.  I think the inputs are slightly different on the newer versions.  I too have been away from all the head-fi goodness for a while, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 7
That seems like a solid option, though im unsure i will be able to find one within my price range. Looks like I have some digging around to do! I am also debating the whole good CD player vs PC to DAC thing. I have all of my music in CD format for the most part, so it really doesn't seem to matter much.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 7
That seems like it would be far out of my price range. At this point I think im just looking for a quality DAC around the 3-400 mark. I've been reading around here and it seems I have a lot of choices. Anyone know what would sound better (or worse) with a tube amp and some K701's? For reference this will be for listening to about 99% metal and rock, and about 1% other things from my computer :)

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 7
AMB's Gamma 2 can be had for around $300, I think.  Check out the FS forums,  or fire off MisterX a PM and he will give you a price to build one.  A "full" version has USB and both Optical and Coax S/PDIF inputs, so you will be covered.  It is great value for the money.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back