seeking some amp for HD800S around 1000 preowned
Dec 9, 2019 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
bought them from my friend, but feel the bass dynamic and soundstage didn't go that well as I expected.
currently using SMSL D1 DAC, a monoprice liquid platinum for amp, stock cable.
should I just seek some other phones or maybe upgrade my amp to get better dynamic and soundstage?

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Wait, is that something that can be DIYed? I have some DIY experience on small SMD stuff and soldering wires, is it possible to get hands on these DIY stuff?
No. We quit selling them DIY, because with all the add-ons, they became too difficult to build for all but the most experienced. You can still find one used for less than $1K with all the add-ons, though.

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 8
No. We quit selling them DIY, because with all the add-ons, they became too difficult to build for all but the most experienced. You can still find one used for less than $1K with all the add-ons, though.
I still see some Torpedo 1 in your store, is there a diy kit or parts list I can follow? I've been a bit reluctant to buy a 1000$ amp when I see DIY opportunity available... If there's a similar DIY I'll try determine whether to take a bite at later ones.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Every DIY kit - and more - sold at beezar.com is documented fully at diyforums.org. Just so that we're clear and I'm not breaking the rules for Head-Fi, the actual forum on that website has been de-activated for a number of years. The primary purpose of the site is online documentation for Beezar Audio and other DIY designs.

Constructing the Torpedo 1 is still possible; there are PCBs remaining and you can obtain transformers through beezar.com or Edcor. However, you'll have to come up with your own casework. Context is the original basis of the case design, but the extrusion length for the Torpedo I and III is a custom length. Context does not offer casework that long as stock. So, it might be a bit expensive if you go that route.

Also keep in mind that while the Torpedo I is a fine headphone amplifier, it's not in the same class as the Torpedo III. Here's one that sold used (still my recommendation) just a couple of months ago:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sold-fs-ecp-torpedo-iii-beezar-maxed-build-with-tubes.917671/
(I might even have a lead on another one, if you are interested.)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back