Seeking recommendations for office use, ~$300 US
Jun 28, 2018 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LayaboutProvocateur

New Head-Fier
Last month I finished my first real audio setup, picking up a HD6XX and R2R-11 for home use, and I'm in love. I'm hoping to find a lower-cost solution that I can use at work. My first thought was to pick up a second 6XX and a Dragonfly or Fulla 2, but I think IEMs might be a better solution. Here are my priorities:
  • Source: Tidal/Spotify from PC, through onboard motherboard audio. At work I won't have the option to add a sound card. Genre is all over the place tbh, but I especially appreciate the rumbly bits in both electronic and classical.
  • Sound quality: I'm quite new to this, so I don't have the most discerning audio palate. I want to be impressed, but that might not be a very high bar.
  • Microphone: I spend a fair amount of time on conference calls, which, from what I can tell, makes either an ADC for inline mics or a separate microphone a requirement.
  • Isolation: It's a large office, so yes please.
  • Subtlety: It's a large office, so a less ostentatious setup would make me feel better.
  • Price: Sweet spot is $250-300 for the whole setup, with some flexibility. Anything above $400 would be a difficult sell.
  • Location: US/Chicago, if that helps. Don't mind waiting for drops/shipping, as long as they're reliable.
The Massdrop Plus sound like they would be amazing, but they don't leave much room in the budget for a dac/amp. EDC3 was my next thought, before I realized I needed to figure out how to connect the microphone, and then I felt out of my depth and thought that surely someone who knows more than I do has worked this problem before. Here's hoping!

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 9
Check out a Campfire Comet. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work and it is only $200. Ticks most of your boxes. Inline mic. A DAC/amp is not required for the Comet to sound terrific. You could probably get away with just the headphones. Worth a look, definitely.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 9
If you want to go cheap a good one to try is the KZ ZS10 for about $43 usd. Totally different than the 6xx’s which I do have. They will run out of anything and are a five driver unit with 4 ba Drivers and one dynamic. They are a bit more bright than the 6xx’s but do have good detail and separation if you’re not opposed to a bit brighter sound. The 1 More Quads are a bit smoother ( which I have also) but tend to reach for the 10’s a bit more.

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Not sure what business you're in, but I've found IEM's to be suboptimal for office use. That's mainly because it can be a pain in the butt (or even a literal pain in your ear!) to constantly have to remove and reinsert them. I can listen for long stretches of time when working but other times I'm constantly taking the headphones on and off. So yeah, not a huge fan of IEM's in the office.

Just some food for thought. Good luck on your search!

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 9
If you have Aptx-hd or LDAC Bluetooth capability the Sony WH-1000xm2 is outstanding and checks most of your boxes.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks all!

Not sure what business you're in, but I've found IEM's to be suboptimal for office use. That's mainly because it can be a pain in the butt (or even a literal pain in your ear!) to constantly have to remove and reinsert them. I can listen for long stretches of time when working but other times I'm constantly taking the headphones on and off. So yeah, not a huge fan of IEM's in the office.

Do you prefer over-ear, then, or just desktop speakers? I have a decently secluded spot in the office, but it's a very open layout so the sound would probably carry pretty far.

If you have Aptx-hd or LDAC Bluetooth capability the Sony WH-1000xm2 is outstanding and checks most of your boxes.

I actually have the WI-1000x for commuting. How would I get aptX-HD or LDAC from my PC? I did a quick search and didn't seem to come across any LDAC bluetooth dongles.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 9
I personally use closed-back over ears. Currently that's a MrSpeakers AEON, but I know that's out of your price range. Previous to that I was using an Oppo PM-3, which I think was a fantastic option. Used it for a couple years before upgrading. You might see if you can get your hands on one of those. I recently sold my old one to a co-worker and he's pleased as punch with the SQ (right out of his phone) and the level of passive noise isolation and the comfort. As a bonus, it has a removable cable with a 1/8" connector so you might be able to use something like a V-Moda Boompro for your conference call needs.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I've come across a fair number of opinions about IEMs, and the MD+ in particular, not needing dac/amps, or even sounding worse with them. Is that pretty much the consensus?

If so, another option would be get the MD+ and throw 50 bucks at a Blue Snowball for VoIP. Hm.

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 9
I agree iems in the office is frustrating. You get a good seal and then someone wants to talk to you

Just some food for thought. Good luck on your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back