Seeking Recommendations for my first IEMs ~$50
Jan 13, 2017 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Akash Ray

New Head-Fier
It's been nearly 8 months since I bought my first pair of audiophile grade headphones - the Sennheiser HD598 SE. Thanks to the Head-fi community for recommending this headphone to me and I feel its a great start towards the quest for good sound. I enjoy listening to it thoroughly!

I was in high school back then. Now, I'm in college. Being in college I often find myself in situations where I dearly miss listening to my music simply because the HD598s being over ears and open-back, are simply not portable. I love the nearly 'neutral' and balanced sound signature of the HD598s and really appreciate how well it can resolve the various instruments and synths since I mostly listen to trance and western classical music. I'm looking for an IEM which obviously being portable would be able to satisfy me with the above characteristics till I get back to my residence and put the Sennheisers back on again. You might've noticed that I never mentioned anything about the soundstage in this post simply because I'm not expecting any IEM to present the kind of soundstage than that of my HD598s. I'll primarily be using my FiiO X1 (Unamped) or very very rarely my Oneplus X as a source and most of my library is in FLAC. I am a resident of India and I regret that I might have to ignore some of your recommendations simply because some of the Audio products that you might mention are either unavailable here or are too costly to buy. I seek out to buy a product which is value for money and would always prefer cheap alternatives since being a student, every dime counts for me.

After doing a little research, I've narrowed down to some IEMs which I believe would suit me. I seek your opinions on the same. The models that I checked out are as follows-

1. Soundmagic E10/c/m.
2. V Sonic VSD1S.

I also came across a brand called KZ (Knowledge Kenith) on Aliexpress (https://kziems.aliexpress.com/store/1358152?spm=2114.12010108.100004.2.N7KYbs) which I found to be really intriguing seeking their specs, build quality, materials and design.
I would really want to gather opinions on their products since they seem to offer the 'bang for the buck' deals as I am looking for. I also want to know how their sound compares to that of the V-Sonic VSD1S, since I've read rave reviews about them.

Kindly help get my hand..erm..ears onto my first set of quality IEMs. You may recommend other IEMs which have not been mentioned and let me know of their qualities.
I highly appreciate your opinions.

Thanks a lot, cheers!

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for that suggestion, I did read some reviews about them but I'm on a rather restricted budget as I've mentioned on in the title(~$50). Moreover I'm looking for something under $50 since I'm on a budget reasons for which I've mentioned in the post itself. I live in India, so no costco either..sorry,

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 21
  Thanks for that suggestion, I did read some reviews about them but I'm on a rather restricted budget as I've mentioned on in the title(~$50). Moreover I'm looking for something under $50 since I'm on a budget reasons for which I've mentioned in the post itself. I live in India, so no costco either..sorry,

I own the Soundmagicc and I love it. It has been durable and seems well-made. Love the sound.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 21
+ 1 on the 1More triple drivers they are very good for the price. Well just read th rest of your posts so they are out too bad they are very good. If you can get KZ ATE's they are also quite decent and like $17 in the US not sure what they run there.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 21
Good one. To me,rhe clear KZ ATE's actually look better than the 1mores.
May look better but do not sound better.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 21
Then I recommend an astrotec or brainwavz. They are quite nice too for the price

Please mention the model numbers and their sound quality and I hope it suits my tastes (as mentioned in my post).

Good one. To me,rhe clear KZ ATE's actually look better than the 1mores.

I'm not really into looks but more into SQ, durability and comfort.

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #12 of 21
" I love the nearly 'neutral' and balanced sound signature of the HD598s and really appreciate how well it can resolve the various instruments and synths since I mostly listen to trance and western classical music."

So basically something leaning towards neutral or balanced sound which is capable of resolving details and nuances to a decent extent (within my low budget <$50).

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Same here. I like a neutral sound for listening to chamber music. 
Here are some suggestions. Unfortunately, these are American Amazon's links so you might need to search 
them up through India's Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-C10-Balanced-Armature-Earphone/dp/B00B2G2V8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484416126&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+balanced+armature

https://www.amazon.com/DUNU-DN-12-Noise-Isolation-Earphones-Powerful/dp/B0050MM40C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484416080&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=dunutrident

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484416245&sr=8-3&keywords=etymotics

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 21
  KZ ATE v Soundmagic E10 v V-Sonic VSD1S
Can anyone give me opinions on their sound, build and accesories?

I really need to make a decision ASAP.
Thanks!, 

Haven't heard the KZ. The Soundmagic is mids-forward, but relatively balanced overall. With a good seal, bass is more than ample. Any more bass would be too much for me. Big soundstage, as I listen now to Fourplay 4. The VSONIC is definitely even more bass-forward with slightly recessed mids (to me, that is). It is a completely different presentation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back