Seeking recommendations after 8 year hiatus -> similar to CK10
Aug 11, 2019 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

singha

100+ Head-Fier
I am returning back to headphones/IEMs after a 8 year hiatus where I have been living under a rock doing residency/slave labor. I am returning back because a few things have happened: 1) both my ATH-CK10s, and brainwavz b2 have now broken and 2) I received Beats headphones for my birthday and ended up back to this site after shunning them for a decade. Is there anything similar sounding to thhe CK10/DBA02/B2 in the balanced armature arena? I usually rotate these with Westone 4s and a ER4s without an amp. I tried searching for upgrades or similar sounding IEMs to the CK10 in the search bar but all relevant posts are all about 6 years old.

Reading the threads have been overwhelming. Seems like noise cancelling headphones are acutally good now, and there is this thing called wireless. Somethings appear to never change like Bose and Beats being looked down upon. It doesnt seem like we are there yet for wireless IEMs though. I was looking to pick up a pair of Sony WH1000XM3s and selling the beats which I still refuse to put on my ears.

I feel like Mike Myers who has just been unfrozen a decade later.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Haven't used those models, but Jays "new" q-Jays are based on the original q-jays, AFAIK of similar design to the DB02/B2. They are exceptionally well made IEMs (though for me sibilant without foam tips).

As much as I like q-Jays, the IEM field has expanded at kind of an insane rate (both in variety and price) in the last 8 years. May be worthwhile to go further afield. (possibly ask @shigzeo aka ohm-image IIRC a CK10 torchbearer & continues to review IEMs, might have a suggestion).

Also if you are familiar with frequency response measurements https://crinacle.com/ particularly the comparison tool is a great resource, though unfortunately no CK10 measurement for reference.

Not sure about "True Wireless" IEMs, however if you don't mind the neckband style, there are some well regarded IEMs that come with wireless versions (i.e. Beyerdynamic Xelento). There are also wireless adapter cables that can be used with removable cable IEMs, and bluetooth receivers with shirt clips you can use with hardwired IEM/headphones..

IMO WH1000s are solid wireless noise cancelling headphones, but still of a class w/ Bose QC35 . Depending on where you live they might not be difficult to find a demo of.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the advice. I will give the new qjays a try as I almost got them 8 years ago. General budget is $100-800 so pretty much anything short of customs.

I guess I will have to do some more reading as the hunt is half the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back