Seeking recommendation for a sound card
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vlad951

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

As it turns out, the on-board sound card that I have sounds kinda horrible, that even my iPhone produces a much clearer, richer and detailed sound with the earphones that I'm using (VSonic GR07).

Therefore, I'm interested in buying a sound card that isn't too expensive, but produces a pretty decent sound.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I'd recommend the Asus Xonar DG or DGX. They're practically the same card, but the former is PCI while the latter connects via PCI Express.

+1

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Nice, it seems like a pretty good sound card. However, I'm thinking of maybe spending a little more.

Do you think the Xonar STX suit my needs well, or would it be a waste?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Nice, it seems like a pretty good sound card. However, I'm thinking of maybe spending a little more.

Do you think the Xonar STX suit my needs well, or would it be a waste?

The motherboard audio and add-on sound cards might have a higher then desired headphone output impedance for use with your type of headphones.
I'm assuming this is for music audio? not for gaming or movies.
The Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier comes with a very low impedance and costs $68.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I've read that the E10 cuts the first 0.7 seconds of audio. Is there any truth to it? Also, what other DACs would you recommend?

Seems that this is true.  Probably not an issue unless your player removes silence at the beginning of tracks (J. River has an option to do this, I'm sure other do too).
Quote:
How's does the O2+ODAC pair with the GR07? Or should I maybe look more into the Dragonfly?

Might be overkill, but the O2+ODAC option is highly recommended, as is the Schitt Modi+Magni system (and the Schitt stack is cheaper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back