Seeking (re)Solution?
Feb 1, 2008 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yotacowboy

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a few days away from the "fray" and have been wondering how dialogues like many in this forum can occur, yet still keep threads more or less "on track". Yes, many of us have heard both sides of the argument, but there are seldom threads which don't "attack" a particular technology without getting "bogged down" in nitty-gritty arguments largely based in semantics and "minor" details, which tend to wander from the original intent of the thread. I know I've been party to these in the past, so I'm not looking (at all) to place blame with any particular camp for "ruining" good threads... honestly...

There is, admittedly and quite honestly, a great dialogue occurring, where many have much to learn (in, seemingly, every other freakin thread in this cables/tweaks forum...) why not allow a separate forum for the headier debates? Many other bulletin boards are MUCH more stringent with pro/anti-DBT rhetoric, and will shut threads down at the inception of an discussion of the empirical/experiential merits of cables, for example. I'll certainly concede that the appearance of ANY censorship is no good, and not keeping with the spirit of a GOOD online discussion board in the least.

So why not establish a separate forum here to discuss philosophies of audio reproduction? Or does this establish segregation, and (potentially) institutionalize a specific bias? "Headier-fi," anyone? Mods, I'd like to hear some input, too.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 5
It's an interesting idea, but it might unnecessarily limit the discussion about the merits of a particular piece of gear. A mod or the OP would have to anticipate the direction of the thread, and also ask themselves, "How much technical debate is appropriate before this gets moved to the Debate forum?"

On the other hand, it would be cool to have a forum where people discuss different circuit designs, topologies, effects of materials, etc., but those questions usually find answers in the DIY forum, where people have actually experimented with those principles.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 5
In general, when it comes to internet discussion boards, I think it is never a good idea to put constraints on the discussion. I think it's better to let the community handle the posters that step over the line. But that's just my personal opinion, and I imagine that there are commercial constraints at play when it comes to the no DBT rule.

See ya
Steve

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...... I imagine that there are commercial constraints at play when it comes to the no DBT rule.

Aw, geez, Steve, you haven't become bit cynical about the topic, have you?
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine that there are commercial constraints at play when it comes to the no DBT rule.

See ya
Steve

Explain, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back