Seeking possible portable amplifier "Unicorn"? High Power/3.5mm analog input
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zennheiser

Head-Fier
I have many portable analog source (walkpersons of various types/formats, etc.\ players as well as a contemporary Samsung phone and some quasi-contemporary X5 and X5 II Hi-Res players.

I've been trying to find a new portable "one amplifier to rule them all" option and it seems that the advertising on the iFi and FiiO websites are mostly defaulting to a digital input narrative as (now) completely foregone conclusion.

I have a number of older portable amps (Ray Samuels, FiiO Montblanc, and even an Electric Avenues) and they all still work fine, but I know that probably won't always be the case. So I took a run at the iFi iDSD Micro Signature (no analog input, which is where I discovered the issue in the first place) and I've been looking around ever since. Frankly, it's price point was too high in the first place. I'd LIKE to keep it for my phone/Hi-Rez players, but, again, the outlay factor is (these days in particular) a major sticking point. Any helpful recommendations would be much appreciated! TIA...

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 7
I have many portable analog source (walkpersons of various types/formats, etc.\ players as well as a contemporary Samsung phone and some quasi-contemporary X5 and X5 II Hi-Res players.

I've been trying to find a new portable "one amplifier to rule them all" option and it seems that the advertising on the iFi and FiiO websites are mostly defaulting to a digital input narrative as (now) completely foregone conclusion.

I have a number of older portable amps (Ray Samuels, FiiO Montblanc, and even an Electric Avenues) and they all still work fine, but I know that probably won't always be the case. So I took a run at the iFi iDSD Micro Signature (no analog input, which is where I discovered the issue in the first place) and I've been looking around ever since. Frankly, it's price point was too high in the first place. I'd LIKE to keep it for my phone/Hi-Rez players, but, again, the outlay factor is (these days in particular) a major sticking point. Any helpful recommendations would be much appreciated! TIA...

Topping NX7 is a powerful amplifier with 3.5mm input at reasonable cost that seem to be well regarded, I have no personal experience.

The iFi Gryphon can accept a 3.5mm or 4.4mm analog input so that you are using the amplifier only. You are certainly paying for a lot of extra functionality if all you want is an amplifier but that might be a possibility and would give you options.

The iFi Diablo actually accepts a 4.4mm input through the rear 4.4mm line out jack. It isn't an advertised feature but iFi have confirmed it works safely and indicate it was something of an Easter Egg. Again you are paying for other features but the Diablo certainly fits the high power output requirement. To use the balanced line in you do need the iFi cable or any other with all 5 poles of the 4.4mm used, many don't. That is essential, the line in will not work properly without a grounding between the source and the Diablo. You can also go 3.5mm in using a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter and use a single ended input and still have the same output power available out of the 1/4 inch and 4.4mm jacks.

I have Gryphon and Diablo and use them with digital and analog inputs and like both a lot.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your recommendations! I'll check them out.

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 7
It's looking like the NX7 so far. I'll be driving Sennheiser 600's, 650's, Monoprice 1060's and Fostex 900x's so it needs to have some current output grunt factor. Any other recommendations at or near that price point are still very much welcome! the iFi iDSD Signature is now returned. Sad. I wanted to keep it, but there didn't seem to be a way to get an analog front end signal into it. (Nobody replied in another thread regarding it, anyway...) Thanks, everyone for the replies!

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Not sure if you are still looking for the traditional portable amplifier with 3.5mm input

But I would like to throw in a recommendation, Corda Quickstep by Meier Audio, this is the 3rd gen of their famed Corda Stepdance.
I'm still using my 11years old Stepdance for my iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back