Seeking Owners of Creative Zen Touch - Re. Spasm Win2K
Nov 27, 2007 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

catachresis

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a refurb 20 gig for my girlfriend -- a mac owner. My sense was that there was XDJB, which would provide an easy workaround for her. It turned out to be a nightmare: all the geeky, pokey, tweaky stuff that I deal with fine but a Mac-user hates. Just the idea of dealing with driver issues makes her frantic.

On the other hand, I have taken possession of the Zen Touch and found myself apparently SOL. I have Windows 2000, SP4 (with final rollup). This player is apparently MTP only and requires Win XP SP2 and Win Media Player 11 to function correctly.

The only workarounds I've been able to locate are 1. that J. River Media Center apparently will also sync with this (though I guess this is true only in Win XP) and 2. there are dangerous second-party usb drivers by Ratock that might detect and install it as a UMS device. In any case, I'll gladly accept confirmations that this unit has to be used with WinXP and WMP11 but I will be tremendously grateful if anyone can make any other suggestions. Thanks for your responses!

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, that problem got sorted, though the solution was more alchemical than logical. I installed Microsoft Media Transfer Protocol 12. Windows Media Player 9 would not install on my HP laptop, but I located the Creative driver files on the install cd. I am using free Media Monkey to synchronize the DAP. If anyone should find herself/himself in a similar fix, I'll be happy to email the files.

If any of you peeps own a Zen Touch or similar Creative device, please share with me how you have set the 4 band equalizer. Frankly, I find headphone out to be muddy on this device and would like to improve sq.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back