Seeking New Violin Music
May 29, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky Violin Concerti by performed by Jascha Heifetz

Also Beethovens Violin Concerto (paired with Brahms Violin Concerto) by Heifetz also.

Heartily seconded. Both of these Heifetz recordings (particularly the Beethoven/Brahms) are absolutely must-haves for any classical collection. For all four of these concerti, you would be hard-pressed to find them played better by anyone else.

I would also recommend Heifetz doing Bach's Partitas and Sonatas for Solo Violin.

I don't know if he's the greatest violinist of the 20th century (he might be), but I have found all of his recordings to be consistently excellent.

May 29, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Heartily seconded. Both of these Heifetz recordings (particularly the Beethoven/Brahms) are absolutely must-haves for any classical collection. For all four of these concerti, you would be hard-pressed to find them played better by anyone else.

I enjoy oistrakh's playing over heifetz's... He just plays too fast for me with little spirit in his playing... Menuhin's playing is better suited for beethoven than heifetz's playing... The Mendelssohn concerto was so fast and spiritless

May 29, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
I enjoy oistrakh's playing over heifetz's... He just plays too fast for me with little spirit in his playing... Menuhin's playing is better suited for beethoven than heifetz's playing... The Mendelssohn concerto was so fast and spiritless

Among all these, I am for Heifetz. Absolutely unique. Heifetz rulez!
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh

Lots of respect here for Oistrakh and Menuhin too.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Menuhin/Furtwangler collaboration was truly special...though I would still suggest Heifetz as a first purchase, since his RCA Red Seal records have excellent stereo sound and the performance is more technically flawless.

There's enough room within these great works of music (and on my CD shelves) for all of them.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back