Seeking my first IEM, please advise
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

GlenAppleton

1000+ Head-Fier
Good morning all!

As the title indicates, I'm looking to buy my first IEM and I could use some help / recommendations from the community. I'm looking for something that has decent details / resolution, with strong but detailed low end and crystal-like highs. Think the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 sound signature, but in an IEM.

Budget: $300 or less, but will go a bit more for something that provide real value for the extra cash.
Use: Portable, phone with external DAC, so it should be efficient. Will likely get the iFi Go Link or an equivalent portable DAC / Amp device.
Driver preference: None, at this point. As long as it sounds good and has a decent soundstage, I'm good. :relaxed:
Music genres: Progressive rock / metal; classic rock; jazz; folk / americana

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can provide!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 14
Welcome. The Final A5000 or Truthear HEXA are going to be your best bet in that price range, that I know of, so far.
Thanks! I have the HEXA on my wish list, but hadn't heard about the Final A5000 so I'll check that out.

I ended up ordering the TANGZU x HBB Wu Heyday for my first pair, and they'll be here tomorrow. For now, I'll use them with my desktop iFi Zen stack, but I have the SHANLING UA3 portable DAC/Amp coming next weekend and I'm hoping they will pair well as a portable kit.

In any case, I'm sure I'll be trying many things, as this hobby requires, so thanks for the recommendations!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks! I have the HEXA on my wish list, but hadn't heard about the Final A5000 so I'll check that out.

I ended up ordering the TANGZU x HBB Wu Heyday for my first pair, and they'll be here tomorrow. For now, I'll use them with my desktop iFi Zen stack, but I have the SHANLING UA3 portable DAC/Amp coming next weekend and I'm hoping they will pair well as a portable kit.

In any case, I'm sure I'll be trying many things, as this hobby requires, so thanks for the recommendations!
Haven't listened to the Heyday yet, though HBB's IEMs tend to be pretty bass heavy. Not saying that one is, just saying that's his typical sound. Shanling makes some of the best DAC/AMP/DAPs, so that should be good. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any other advice, or just check out my review site if you want to read my reviews on something I've listened to (A5000 review is in there.)

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 14

Love the Heyday. Less bass than the purple Wu Zetian but the bass is really good. The sound gets better over time, not sure if it's burn in or my ears adjusting to the the iem but I really enjoy them. Tips are important. I tried a lot to get the sound and seal combination that works. If you are new to iems, then start researching tips.

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 14
If you are new to iems, then start researching tips.
Yep, each review that I watch on YT says the same thing for just about every IEM. If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Yep, each review that I watch on YT says the same thing for just about every IEM. If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

For most of my iems I use Spinfit CP100 Plus (xl). Spinfits seal the quickest and are very comfortable with great sound. I like some foam tips but can't wear them as long as silicon. However, for the Heyday I settled on the TRI Clarion with a wider opening. The only iems that I like them with (so far). They let the Heyday tuning come through for me. Experiment and be patient. Everyone's ears are different, so figure out what size works and go from there.

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 14
This side of the hobby is going to be fun, but might get a bit expensive with all the GAS I'm feeling. :astonished: It was relatively easy to find my preferred sound signature and get a few full size headphones, but the IEM market is just exploding with some really great products at different price points.

Going down the rabbit hole, hold my beer please... :beer:

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Listening to the HeyDay for a couple of hours now, and first impressions are very good. The tone / timbre is excellent and the detail resolution and clarity is beyond my expectations. I think I may have landed on a good pick for my first pair. :notes::relaxed::notes:

The only issue I'm having is comfort after a couple / few hours of use. Not sure if it's just the fact that I'm not used to anything being in my ear canals, or the stock tips are just not that comfortable. Between the medium tips that came with it, the pre-installed all black (rubber?) are the most comfortable (and a PITA to install with the soft core). Assuming it's the stock tips, any recommends for very comfortable medium size tips with a large inner diameter (the larger diameter helps with tonal balance)?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Listening to the HeyDay for a couple of hours now, and first impressions are very good. The tone / timbre is excellent and the detail resolution and clarity is beyond my expectations. I think I may have landed on a good pick for my first pair. :notes::relaxed::notes:

The only issue I'm having is comfort after a couple / few hours of use. Not sure if it's just the fact that I'm not used to anything being in my ear canals, or the stock tips are just not that comfortable. Between the medium tips that came with it, the pre-installed all black (rubber?) are the most comfortable (and a PITA to install with the soft core). Assuming it's the stock tips, any recommends for very comfortable medium size tips with a large inner diameter (the larger diameter helps with tonal balance)?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

also TRI Clarion https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Replacement-Silicone-4-50mm-5-50mm-Earphones/dp/B0B7D9B5MJ?th=1

and JVC Spiral dots https://www.amazon.com/JVC-EP-FX10-...prefix=jvc+spiral+dots,electronics,112&sr=1-2

Foam tips https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Tripowin-Suitable-4-5mm-6-5mm-Earphone/dp/B0858X5KCB?ref_=ast_sto_dp

and get yourself a storage box to keep them in. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CCT0YI/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 14
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Not mentioned but honestly I love the azla sednaearfit max tips, I use them for every IEM that I use regularly, nice wide nozzle, super comfortable fit
Thanks! I've added them to my wish list. :relaxed:

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Quick follow up: Got the SpinFit W1 pack today and the medium size seems to fit perfect and is very comfortable. I'll be getting the others that were recommended here to try them out, and I'm sure they'll find some use on other IEMs I get along the way. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

As for the Shanling paring with these IEMs... It sounds amazing connected to my Pixel 7 with Qobuz streaming, so I think I'm good there as well. :relaxed::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back