Seeking Interconnect Recommendations (Qables vs. ALO vs. Cardas, etc.)
Dec 19, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
I took the plunge on my first portable amp (the Tomahawk, which is technically my Christmas gift from my wife, although I ordered it, heheh). Now I need to figure out what interconnect cable to get to go with it. I purchased the amp to improve the sound from my iriver H120, in the hopes that it will bring the sound quality at least up to the level of the headphone out on my Cowon A2 (I miss Rockbox, big time, but the A2 just sounds so much better that I can't listen to my H120 anymore). I have a fairly long Rat Shack gold plug cable that I'd purchased for the sake of soundboard recording into the iRiver's line-in, but that's likely to be inadequate for portable use (and sound quality). I also take the subway in NYC every day, so durability is VERY important, especially since the cable will likely be exposed in the bag I found.

Based on much reading of these forums, I'm torn on what to get. Do I take the plunge and go nuts with an ALO Jumbo Cryo? Should I go less nuts and go for a regular ALO Cryo? Would a Qables cable be a better option, even though I have some concerns about silver cables being more delicate (again, durability is important here), and I've read that silver cables tend to be kind of "bright"? Should I just get a "cheap", $15 Cardas 6" mini-to-mini until I can really afford a better cable, or will that degrade the sound noticably between my H120 and the amp? Are there other interconnect providers that can provide a better overall deal for price/quality? For people who have used multiple different I/C's, what are your impressions of each?

Thanks in advance,
-Packgrog

Dec 19, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 9
this is probably not what you want to hear, but you really wouldn't be able to distinguish between the $15 six inch interconnect and the $160 one when you're listening out in the streets, shops and work place unless you have a virtual air-tight iem, which can really be dangerous for various reasons...

now, if you're listening in a sound-proof studio or 4am in the morning, you may be able to distinguish between the various interconnects, if you don't fall asleep first...LOL

but, probably, most important is what you get out of the durability of these often misunderstood units. the more expensive units tend to have better soldering, but not a guarantee, and reliefs to make a lasting durable impression...

best yet, the money you can save by getting a relatively less expensive one can be put to better use on your generous wife...which may be the best investment out of this adventure...

good luck in your choice!

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, most of my listening is with IEMs at my desk at the office. But still, if it's subtle at best even with some of the best portable components, then maybe it *IS* a better idea to go for a more affordable cable. The Cardas looks much better from that perspective.

More opinions would be appreciated as well, of course. Thanks for the contribution!

-Packgrog

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 9
I wouldn't get too crazy on the cables with that rig. I'd probably go with Bluejeans for a good quality budget cable and save my money for other upgrades down the road.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 9
You will be surprised how good the Cardas cable sounds!Its very flexible too!
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Cardas ordered. Thanks for the recommendations.

At least if I lose a less expensive I/C, or it gets damaged, I won't be as upset, and given my commute, damage is quite possible. Heh.

Thanks again,
-Packgrog

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Im sure you will be very happy with your cable, but just for future reference you can also talk to Ken at Audio Line Out about custom cables that might better fit your needs than his stock offerings. He told me about 1/3 of his business was from custom-ish jobs and he was very helpful in talking me through the process and figuring out just what was good for me in my circumstances. My main concern was money, and he figured out a good interconnect for me at the perfect pricepoint for my needs. He is a great guy to talk with, and even though Ive been too busy to listen yet with work and the holidays to comment on the quality even these custon jobs ship ridiculously fast!

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Oh, I'm keen on the ALO cables. When I have money to upgrade the cable (ie: if I'm finding Cardas inadequate, or it breaks or something), I suspect he'll be my first destination. I really like his stuff, I just can't afford it right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 9
hey packgrog, here's a name ( mcpig39 ) you may want to try out on ebay. he makes excellent cables at 1/3 the price of ken's alo products. and having both of the mini to mini types, i'd wager his products are on par with those of ken's...especially if you're using a headphone jack with iems stock cables...

another well regarded product is by this seller ( rnbaudio ) on ebay. i don't have his interconnect so can't offer any insight but others on this forum seem to like his product, and it's relatively affordable...

personally, if you're only talking connection cables, the biggest difference i can sense is upgrading the cable from the amp to the cans...and much much less on the cables from source to the amp...this is mainly due to the length of the cable and the conductivity of electrons being inversely proportional to the increasing length of the path...not to mention contact integrity, diaelectic property of the metal/solder and soldermanship...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back