Seeking Insights on DAC Inputs: Eversolo Streamers vs. Custom Streaming PC
Apr 7, 2024 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DScience

New Head-Fier
Certainly, I'll refine your query for clarity and focus:

Subject: Seeking Insights on DAC Inputs: Eversolo Streamers vs. Custom Streaming PC

Hello everyone,

I'm currently deliberating between several options for enhancing my audio setup and would greatly appreciate your insights. My choices are the Eversolo A6, A6 ME, A8 streamers, or constructing a custom, dedicated streaming PC.

My setup includes a stereo system with KEF 104/2 speakers powered by a Parasound integrated amplifier. For digital-to-analog conversion, I use a Bryston BDA-1 DAC for my speakers and a Burson Conductor Virtuoso for my Hifiman Arya Organics headphones.

The devices I currently use to feed digital audio to the DACs are:

• Wiim Mini
  • Wiim Pro
  • Windows-based PC
  • MacBook Pro
  • iPad Pro
  • Apple TV (via TV)
My quandary involves understanding the impact of different digital sources on audio quality, particularly between the Eversolo streamers and a Windows-based PC. For instance, if both sources output a 24 bit, 192kHz Apple Lossless file through an SPDIF connection, I'm puzzled by the claim that the audio quality improves as one upgrades through the Eversolo lineup.

How does the nature of the digital source affect audio quality if the digital information (1's and 0's) and the file's resolution remain consistent across devices?

Thank you in advance for shedding light on this perplexing aspect of digital audio playback.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 12
How does the nature of the digital source affect audio quality if the digital information (1's and 0's) and the file's resolution remain consistent across devices?
Not, unless something is defective or some digital signal processing is done.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 12
Not, unless something is defective or some digital signal processing is done.
Thank you for your input. Your point suggests that unless a device is malfunctioning or some form of digital signal processing (DSP) is applied, the digital-to-analog conversion process should remain unaffected by the digital source itself. This insight leads me to ponder whether the Eversolo models incorporate some form of DSP that subtly enhances the audio or differentiates the output as you move up their product line.

This raises some follow-up questions: Are there known differences in the digital signal processing capabilities among the Eversolo A6, A6 ME, and A8 that could explain the perceived improvements in sound quality? Or, could it be that user reports of enhanced audio with higher models are influenced by other factors, such as the placebo effect or differences in audio setups that aren't directly related to the streamers?

I'm curious to delve deeper into this and appreciate further insights or experiences that could shed light on these possibilities.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 12
If a DAC sounds different, there's probably something wrong with it. A DAC should be audibly transparent- all DACs that are performing to digital spec should exceed our ears' ability to hear. Just like 16/44.1 exceeds our ability to hear.

Generally, differences in price points of DACs are justified by features and build quality, not sound quality.

If you want to improve sound quality, it's best to focus on transducers and signal processing (ie. equalization), not digital playback or amplification.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 12
Don't be fooled by some claims that 1's and 0's are different with various component's digital connections: with today's specs, they go well above any dropout for digital music. If there are sound differences between Eversolo models....there might be differences if you're listening through one of its analog stages (and there can be differences in DSP and/or analog stage by intent). With these devices, there might be either more over engineering that doesn't' add any difference in audible sound: and they can be adding DSPs to be adding a "perceptual difference". Not sure what kind of setup you want. For me, if I'm just playing off my laptop there's lots of quality DSPs through a media player. For a compact office system, I have a *used Benchmark DAC1 (these days it's steal for "audiophile" since it has no distortion and variable analog output). I have a streamer for pulling unlimited streaming, and in that setup, my headphone amp is what's providing my "EQ" in the side of some settings and some vacuum tube distortion.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 12
Your point suggests that unless a device is malfunctioning or some form of digital signal processing (DSP) is applied, the digital-to-analog conversion process should remain unaffected by the digital source itself.
That’s not exactly 100% true, there will almost certainly be some affect, the analogue output from virtually every DAC will be somewhat different. However, those differences should always be below audibility and in many cases are even below the ability of transducers to reproduce as acoustic sound in the first place. So, this does not contradict what’s been stated above or your conclusion that “this confirms my suspicions”, I just add it in order to be more technically accurate/precise.

G

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 12
I sense a miscommunication, as I understood it DScience was asking if a different digital source connected to the same external DAC would make a difference.

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 12
I sense a miscommunication, as I understood it DScience was asking if a different digital source connected to the same external DAC would make a difference.
My response it still valid for that case. A different source or a different protocol will have different amounts of noise and/or jitter, in some cases this can affect the analogue conversion (even of the same DAC). However, the effect/difference should be tiny, probably not reproducible as sound, let alone an audible difference.

G

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 12
If you can’t hear it, it isn’t going to make your stereo sound any better.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 12
I stream from my Macs and iPhone and they're crazy good too. Streaming is very useful and it works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back