Seeking IEM Recommendations for Metal - Bassy and <$150 USD
Apr 4, 2017 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GaijinMo

New Head-Fier
Greetings all.

After using a pair of Beyer DT 770 PROs (which I bought for general home use, not specifically for metal) for a few years, I'm now in the market for a first pair of IEMs due to the need to go portable. I tend to listen to V-shaped or U-shaped headphones, so anything that's painfully neutral just isn't going to work for me. I know that bassy, V-shaped cans are typically not ideal for metal, as metal genres are usually driven by mid-focused guitar work, but I also want this pair to be serviceable for EDM and various other beat-driven music when the need arises.

I'll be listening primarily to:
-'80s metal (eg. the Big Four of thrash metal and other aggressive metal bands from that era)

The parts of metal I enjoy most and would like emphasized:
-rhythm guitar
-percussion (especially kick drum)

The parts of metal that I would be open to de-emphasizing as a compromise:
-wailing lead guitar solos (high-mids?)
-vocals

If nothing can be compromised in such a specific way, that's okay as long as it's still appropriate for metal and relatively bassy/exciting to listen to. If it just sounds more or less like the DT 770 PRO, I suppose that would be fine.

As a side note, I have smallish ear canals, so the inclusion of smaller earpieces would probably be beneficial.

Look forward to reading any opinions. Thank you!

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 3
RHA MA750 are probably your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back