Seeking help to make it work - ASUS Xonar U7 + Logitech z5450
Mar 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

herman925

New Head-Fier
There are a few things that I need urgent help, thus this post.

I've recently acquired the Xonar U7, thinking that it would be a good enough sound card (of which I'm quite new to) for my 5.1 system (which is an old build), the Logitech z5450.

So this is what I did at the moment.

1.) I plugged in the USB cable for the Xonar U7, installed the driver, everything seems ok for now. Haven't test the sound
2.) Connect the Xonar U7 with my Logitech z5450 via SPDIF, toslink adapter
3.) Went into Bioshock Infinite to check if there's 5.1 for my game, no luck.
4.) Downloaded 3-4 Dolby Digital test video files and testes them, no luck. (Used KM Player, checked that it was AC3 but the output was still encoded back to 2.1 somehow)

So, my question is,
1.) I assumed that this way everything should be fine, where the Xonar U7 supports Dolby and that it would send out 5.1 output to the z5450. Is that a proper assumption?
2.) I checked the Xonar U7 is compatible with Dolby Digital Live, so I assume that it produces 5.1 output for gaming? (which I failed to prove --> I went to try it on Bioshock Infinite and only 2.1)
3.) What else can I do to make it work?

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 2
  There are a few things that I need urgent help, thus this post.
I've recently acquired the Xonar U7, thinking that it would be a good enough sound card (of which I'm quite new to) for my 5.1 system (which is an old build), the Logitech z5450.
So this is what I did at the moment.
1.) I plugged in the USB cable for the Xonar U7, installed the driver, everything seems ok for now. Haven't test the sound
2.) Connect the Xonar U7 with my Logitech z5450 via SPDIF, toslink adapter
3.) Went into Bioshock Infinite to check if there's 5.1 for my game, no luck.
4.) Downloaded 3-4 Dolby Digital test video files and testes them, no luck. (Used KM Player, checked that it was AC3 but the output was still encoded back to 2.1 somehow)
So, my question is,
1.) I assumed that this way everything should be fine, where the Xonar U7 supports Dolby and that it would send out 5.1 output to the z5450. Is that a proper assumption?
2.) I checked the Xonar U7 is compatible with Dolby Digital Live, so I assume that it produces 5.1 output for gaming? (which I failed to prove --> I went to try it on Bioshock Infinite and only 2.1)
3.) What else can I do to make it work?

I would guess an analog audio connection, from the U7 to the Z5450 would provide better audio quality, over S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), but maybe you just like using S/PDIF.
There are two types of Dolby digital signal that can be sent thru S/PDIF.
There is PCM, which is two channels of uncompressed digital audio and there is DDL (Dolby Digital live), which is up to 6-channels of compressed digital audio.
In the U7 control panel, in the S/PDIF setting, is there both PCM & DDL options? is DDL enabled?

I would assume that Bioshock Infinite has difference audio setting? what options are they?
Is the Asus U7 Speaker settings set for "5.1 surround"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back