Seeking DAC/Amp Recommendation
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

XGeneX88

100+ Head-Fier
For the past several years, I've been using a Topping DX7 (original,not S or Pro) DAC/Amp. I'm really considering upgrading to something that may yield a better experience and have been considering a few options. It is important though that I do upgrade and don't end up with a side-grade. For what it's worth, I do love the sound my DX7 puts out and I have zero issues with it other than my own personal "upgrade-itis".

Things I'm considering:

-DX7 Pro
-THX788 (Monoprice DAC/Amp)
-Jotunheim (with AK4490 DAC)

I'm considering the DX7 Pro just because of the remote feature (my current DX7 has this and I love it) but dislike the high ohm output impedance (even though every headphone I own is a Planar which doesn't care about that.. Even my Sony "dynamic" sounds fantastic on it which is slightly higher ohm rating so maybe that's why).

What would you guys recommend? I would really prefer to stay with a DAC/Amp single chasis instead of building a "stack" due to limited desk space. Really looking to keep a small-ish footprint. I'm not sure if I'm missing some other great options.. would love to be made aware if I am missing out on a great product somewhere.

Headphones I need to drive: (everything I run uses XLR-4 and this is a must for me)

-MDR-Z1R
-Mr. Speakers Ether Flow 1.1
-Hifiman Arya

Recommendations are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 18
Your setup is pretty sweet and I would hate for you to waste money where you don't really get to "improve" anything. I suggest another headphone and some more hi-fi music. Make a playlist of only tracks that really wow you. I mean don't let anything go on this list that is marginally good to your ears. Keep it all great stuff. This will be money better spent and keep you from spending cash elsewhere that will only make you think you upgraded, but sonically you will not hear a difference.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 18
Your setup is pretty sweet and I would hate for you to waste money where you don't really get to "improve" anything. I suggest another headphone and some more hi-fi music. Make a playlist of only tracks that really wow you. I mean don't let anything go on this list that is marginally good to your ears. Keep it all great stuff. This will be money better spent and keep you from spending cash elsewhere that will only make you think you upgraded, but sonically you will not hear a difference.
I don't think buying another headphone when he has already 3 absolute highend headphones will solve his problem.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't think buying another headphone when he has already 3 absolute highend headphones will solve his problem.
So you think purchasing gear that is designed to be neutral and influence the sound the least will? Call me confused.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 18
Actually all my music is already Hi-Fi quality (at least FLAC 16bit or better) and I have so many playlists that vary.. of course I have one of just "amazing material" as well. As things currently stand, I kind of have all my bases covered with the 3 HP's I own. I leaned out my "stable" because I just had too many (I've been through others like HD800S, Ether Flow C 1.1, ADX5000, Audioquest Nightowl, Pioneer SE Monitor5, Klipsch HP-3, HE-560 and so so many more.. it would just be a list that's too long to mention). Of course I could go out and buy an Empyrean, or HE1000SE (etc) but my general sound profile needs are being completely met:

MDR-Z1R - My closed back headphone that plays 95% of music I enjoy masterfully. Meets my closed-back work-office environment needs. Extremely dynamic and a joy to experience.
Ether Flow 1.1 - Open back for home that is a terrific all-rounder and especially fantastic for my rock/metal collection. More of laid-back non-fatiguing headphone for me.
Arya - Open back for home that covers a "brighter and transparent" tone when I'm in the mood and meets my sound stage / detail / extreme resolution / and spectacular extension in highs and lows requirements.

I'm really pretty happy with it all and don't have that itch for another headphone at this time. I do think I might be able to benefit somewhat from a better amp though. The DX7 is a good amp but I don't believe it's considered to be "great" in its category. I think the DX7 Pro or THX788 may produce a noticeable upgrade to the sound on all 3 headphones that I currently choose to keep. I'm really down to these two at the moment since I think they're both superior to the Jotunheim.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 18
I think the best upgrade would be a high quality streamer if he's using a PC at the moment.

I use a PC (with the DX7 connected) for home listening (foobar player with flac local files or Tidal) and a Hiby R6 for mobile listening on my Sony and at work. Can you provide some examples of a good streamer? Not completely sure if you're talking about a DAP or some other device. Also would it be streaming via something like Tidal? If so, I already do have something like that :)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 18
I use a PC (with the DX7 connected) for home listening (foobar player with flac local files or Tidal) and a Hiby R6 for mobile listening on my Sony and at work. Can you provide some examples of a good streamer? Not completely sure if you're talking about a DAP or some other device. Also would it be streaming via something like Tidal? If so, I already do have something like that :)

Good Streamers would be
Auralic Aries Mini + LPSU and upwards
Sotm-Sms 200 (+LPSU) and upwards
Sonore Microrendu (+LPSU) and upwards

From what i've read Sotm and Sonore destroy Auralic in soundquality. I only have the Sotm and never tried the other ones so can't compare it.

Was a huge step up from my PC.

You should look up The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel on Youtube.

Yes you can Stream Tidal/Spotify/Quobuz, locally stored files and connected via USB, stored files in a NAS System or Roon/Squeezebox.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Good Streamers would be
Auralic Aries Mini + LPSU and upwards
Sotm-Sms 200 (+LPSU) and upwards
Sonore Microrendu (+LPSU) and upwards

From what i've read Sotm and Sonore destroy Auralic in soundquality. I only have the Sotm and never tried the other ones so can't compare it.

Was a huge step up from my PC.

You should look up The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel on Youtube.

Yes you can Stream Tidal/Spotify/Quobuz, locally stored files and connected via USB, stored files in a NAS System or Roon/Squeezebox.

Interesting, I'm not sure how this is better than playing a high quality file locally stored on my PC and sent straight to a DAC+Amp via USB connection (at which point it's still all digital signal) but I will most certainly look into this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 18
Interesting, I'm not sure how this is better than playing a high quality file locally stored on my PC and sent straight to a DAC+Amp via USB connection (at which point it's still all digital signal) but I will most certainly look into this. Thanks for the suggestion!
Try it and return it if you don't like it.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 18
@ 1700 mW x 2 at 32 ohms, it's not end all be all, but if it drives your current cans sufficiently, I would leave it alone. DX7 measures incredibly well. Unless you're looking for specific features e.g. MQA ,remote, etc., I personally wouldn't upgrade, especially when you're not looking to expand your HP collection.

Get a roon subscription.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 18
I suggest you build a cheap A/B rig and compare your new gear directly against the old. Set the volume levels as closely as possible and try and do a quick A/B switch back and forth. I built one from Amazon parts for under $60 and can do direct A/B swaps between 2 complete setups in less than .5 second. This is done with a switch that has dual inputs and one single output. It works great and it very enlightening as to what gear provides an audible upgrade / more pleasing experience.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 18
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the output impedance of your DX7 affecting your Z1R's. With an output impedance of 10 ohms (6.3mm jack) and 20 ohms (XLR jack) and the Z1R's impedance of 63 ohms, the amp section of the DX7 will affect the sound of your Z1R's: https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/faq-hub/output-impedance

Then again, if you enjoy the sound of your Z1R's coming from the DX7, then who am I to judge?

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 18
Honestly the units you mentioned in the OP don't seem worth the money for the amount of upgrade you'd be getting. Are you really going to hear a big change from a DX7 to a DX7 pro? So much that you'd buy it fresh? Based on your headphones, which are quite nice, I'd start with the amp and look for a larger upgrade. Down the line you can do the same thing with the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back