Seeking comfort for long hours
Jul 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wrpxe

New Head-Fier
Most threads here focus on sound quality, but I'm looking for advice on comfort. I've been using a Sony MDR-V6, but find it very uncomfortable.

I have an XL-sized head, wear glasses, and use the headphones for several hours at a time working at the computer. The sound doesn't need to be better than the MDR-V6, but I do need isolation so I don't bother my neighbors. Also, durability seems to be an issue. Looking through reviews on Amazon, lighter models like the Bose OE2 seem to not last very long.

Sound source: computer, mp3 player
Listening type: classical, jazz, movies
Sound isolation: needed
Price: prefer < $200

I searched through past threads and saw mentioned the JVC HAS400B and Sennheiser HD 439. There is also the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, which seems to need an amplifier. I'm not opposed to that route, but would need some explanation of exactly what to get.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 6
Comfort can be such an individual thing, but I agree with those that describe the DT770s as very comfortable. And I have an XXL head :)

JVC HA-S400? OK for portable, on ear headphones. But I think the right over ears can be more comfortable.

Did you do the Beyerdynamic pad switch out on the V6's? Does help with the comfort.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 6
I thought about the Beyerdynamic pads, but I'm bothered by the weight, clamping, and heat, so I didn't think just swapping pads would do enough.

I'm thinking my problem here is that "comfort" and "isolation" just don't go together. I would even consider the Bose IE2 if I didn't need the isolation.

The 32 ohm DT770 sounds promising. How does the DT770 compare to a MDR-V6 with Beyerdynamic pads with regard to the weight, clamping, and heat? Is it known when the regular 32 ohm model will be available?

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 6
I just tried the Sennheiser HD 439 and was really surprised at how bad it was compared to the Sony MDR-V6. The 439 had extreme loss in the highs and lows. It sounded muddy and constrained, like being in a closet. The construction was all plastic and felt really crude. The weight was 6.25 oz compared to the MDR-V6's 7.25 oz and the clamping on the head was just as tight. Surprisingly, the Sennheiser costs more. I think now I'm going to try the Beyerdynamic pads on the MDR-V6 to see how much that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back