Seeking budget IEM alternatives to Radiopaq Classic (UK)
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
So here's the situation. I bought the Radiopaq Classic and some time later decided I'd like a spare pair. The pair I ordered appeared to be the same but the pair that arrived were the updated version (these have braided cables). To my ears, they have less clarity than the first pair, so I'm considering returning them, if I can find a better alternative.

These are budget IEMs so I don't want to pay more than £15 and preferably a lot less. The Radiopaqs were < £10.

Based on cross-referencing Head-Fi recommendations with Amazon UK availability I've got:

Radiopaq Jazz (~ £15). Perhaps the obvious choice but I'm wary of the updated versions now and in any case wouldn't mind trying something different.

Monoprice (listed as Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi, ~ £5). I'm wary of the fit and too much bass. They also look a bit flimsy. I had one pair of earphones that broke after being dropped 10cm onto a desk. I need something that will survive that! Any advice on the sound quality vs Radiopaq? Despite being 'good for the price' I don't know if the SQ will be enough.

Meelec M6/M9. There's a lack of consensus on these two relative to each other. From what I can gather, M6 has better soundstage but perhaps a less balanced tone. My main issue with these two is the price. Again, they were heralded as good/great for the price. But that price was around $10-15. They are now £15-25 (note the dollar-GBP change), with the M9 being the cheaper. That's a big difference.

They're mainly for an office environment to block out the background and I prefer neutral, erring on warm rather than bright. Music genres, think Diana Krall, KT Tunstall and some classical. I realise something has to give at this price so I may tolerate a bit of extra bass :)

Are any of these going to offer an improvement over even the muddier Radiopaqs? Any other (easily available) suggestions? Oh, and I tend to use small tips; will larger IEMs be an issue?

TIA.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
So here's the situation. I bought the Radiopaq Classic and some time later decided I'd like a spare pair. The pair I ordered appeared to be the same but the pair that arrived were the updated version (these have braided cables). To my ears, they have less clarity than the first pair, so I'm considering returning them, if I can find a better alternative.

These are budget IEMs so I don't want to pay more than £15 and preferably a lot less. The Radiopaqs were < £10.

Based on cross-referencing Head-Fi recommendations with Amazon UK availability I've got:

Radiopaq Jazz (~ £15). Perhaps the obvious choice but I'm wary of the updated versions now and in any case wouldn't mind trying something different.

Monoprice (listed as Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi, ~ £5). I'm wary of the fit and too much bass. They also look a bit flimsy. I had one pair of earphones that broke after being dropped 10cm onto a desk. I need something that will survive that! Any advice on the sound quality vs Radiopaq? Despite being 'good for the price' I don't know if the SQ will be enough.

Meelec M6/M9. There's a lack of consensus on these two relative to each other. From what I can gather, M6 has better soundstage but perhaps a less balanced tone. My main issue with these two is the price. Again, they were heralded as good/great for the price. But that price was around $10-15. They are now £15-25 (note the dollar-GBP change), with the M9 being the cheaper. That's a big difference.

They're mainly for an office environment to block out the background and I prefer neutral, erring on warm rather than bright. Music genres, think Diana Krall, KT Tunstall and some classical. I realise something has to give at this price so I may tolerate a bit of extra bass :)

Are any of these going to offer an improvement over even the muddier Radiopaqs? Any other (easily available) suggestions? Oh, and I tend to use small tips; will larger IEMs be an issue?

TIA.

There are philips iems which are supposed to be really good for it's price(under $15 usd)

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 3
I've done some more reading and at the moment am leaning towards the Monoprice 8320, though the fit may be a bit of a risk.

Barring fitting issues, I'm not convinced the Meelec are worth the price difference, as there are plenty of options at the price. I had a look at Philips, mainly 3580/3590 but was put off by reports of less detail than the monoprice and a v-shaped signature.

Also considering Panasonic HJE355 and HJE450. Some reports that the 355 may be better (more neutral, more detail?) Again, though, at twice the price of the monoprice, is there a compelling reason to go for them?

Typically, the monoprice have just gone up :frowning2:.

At this point, I'm assuming the monoprice or Panasonic will be better than the (second version) Radiopaq. Be great if anyone knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back