Seeking Budget HT Advice
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 19
That's interesting since there are companies that make time and phase coherent speakers with multiple drivers, such as Thiel and Vandersteen. (I own a pair of Vandersteen 3A Signatures.) The few reviews I've seen on single driver full-range speakers with measurements usually show a distinctly uneven frequency response - either due to horn loading or the fact that the driver needs a whizzer cone to reproduce the treble. That may be your cup of tea, but it's not mine...

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #17 of 19
They do and they sound really great butthey dont get it perfect and  you  will still get a degree of smudginess where the crossover point is.  For hometheater use anything below 80hz gets sent to the sub so  the lack of low end wont  be a major factor also  I recomend sealed enclosures for  them like from gallo or orb so theres  no extra resonance cabinet amplification like from horn enclosures. Another option is Three way speakers they also dont give the midrange issues like 2ways so you get the midrange coming out from one driver only.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:
One of my main questions that I don't think I ourtright asked - does the tower form-factor makes sense in a small room or within a limited budget, given a subwoofer?

I'm looking into the suggestions given so far.
Should I experiment with the crossover settings? Speakers can do "Full Band; 40Hz to 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz" and the LPF of LFE goes from 80 to 120.

The receiver has Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (compression), is this similar to what you meant by Intellivolume? Setting Off/Light/Medium/Heavy. (IntelliVolume on this receiver alters the levels of the inputs)

Yes. Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume can help with improving dialogue clarity. However, your problem is more likely the HTIB speakers. 

For a bedroom, towers may not make the most sense. They normally need some placement out from a wall. I'd go with bookshelves and a sub, particularly because a good subwoofer will produce lower bass than than the towers will. That's a plus for movie watching. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
Youre looking at speakers whete the crossover point in the mid frequencies this will lower the clarity of voices,  look into full range single drivers there are not many ones I know, theres the orb audio speakers and the ones from gallo. 

The OP does not need to be worried about the crossover point between the mid and tweeter given his budget range. And even if his budget range was more, single driver speakers are a bad idea. For instance, I would discourage the OP from the Orbs because they are tiny drivers that depend on a sub for their midbass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back