Seeking Budget HT Advice
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
I started with an Onkyo HT-R550 htiab setup, moved to an HT-R360 plus those original speakers. I'm looking to upgrade my home theater, which is not normally used for music, probably 65/35 games/movies. Newegg has a sale on the Polk Monitor60 towers (with matching center), which seem well reviewed. My main issue is that in the near future, my HT room is within what is normally a bedroom, and at most will be within a master bedroom, but will not have a dedicated space. My primary problem with my curren setup is the degree of clarity of speech and other sounds; I would like to listen at a quieter level and retain more fidelity. My current income is fairly limited but I'm willing to wait if that is required for a significant upgrade. If I order something now I'm around the 300 range; I'm not sure I can justify saving for an upgrade more than $600 in the near future

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 19
I have the polk RTI6 which was one step up from the monitor series. I think they have the same tweeter but I am not sure. You can check on the polk site but I did hear the monitor series at Fry's. Sounded decent to me.

All I know is I am really impressed with the RTI's for what I paid for them. Blew away $600 klipsch floor speakers and I got these for $130 on sale from newegg open box.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
My main issue is that in the near future, my HT room is within what is normally a bedroom, and at most will be within a master bedroom, but will not have a dedicated space. My primary problem with my curren setup is the degree of clarity of speech and other sounds; I would like to listen at a quieter level and retain more fidelity.

This probably has a lot to do with speaker placement and listening position. Have you played around with either?

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

This probably has a lot to do with speaker placement and listening position. Have you played around with either?

I've had them in 4 different setups - different rooms, 7.1 in the bigger two, 5.1 in the smaller. I do measure and try to set it up based on my constraints, using information like given on http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

Then I'l use the audyssey w/ mic setup from the receiver to do its room corrections which I then verify. My room definitely isn't ideal but I'm fairly certain my issue is with the speakers themselves, and I assumed I could get the most improvement from upgrading the front 3.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

I've had them in 4 different setups - different rooms, 7.1 in the bigger two, 5.1 in the smaller. I do measure and try to set it up based on my constraints, using information like given on http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

Then I'l use the audyssey w/ mic setup from the receiver to do its room corrections which I then verify. My room definitely isn't ideal but I'm fairly certain my issue is with the speakers themselves, and I assumed I could get the most improvement from upgrading the front 3.

I think you've done a good job so far. Perhaps there's a remote possibility that Audyssey doesn't quite set up the EQ / level settings in an optimal fashion. Have you ever tried some manual tuning, i.e. boosting the center speaker level to see if that would make dialogue more clear? At least it's free...

There are a couple of well-regarded makers that offer monitor / center combinations within the upper limit of your price range (~$600). The PSB Alpha B1 / C1 center, NHT Absolute Zero / Absolute Center, Paradigm Atom / Center 1, Axiom M2 / VP100 center. The Axioms are sold direct, so there's no way of auditioning unless you buy and return (they offer a satisfaction guarantee). You can purchase from NHT direct as well, but they do have a network of dealers.

PSB - http://www.psbspeakers.com
NHT - http://www.nhthifi.com
Paradigm - http://www.paradigm.com
Axiom - http://www.axiomaudio.com

EDIT: Changed from Super Zero to Absolute Zero

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
I started with an Onkyo HT-R550 htiab setup, moved to an HT-R360 plus those original speakers. I'm looking to upgrade my home theater, which is not normally used for music, probably 65/35 games/movies. Newegg has a sale on the Polk Monitor60 towers (with matching center), which seem well reviewed. My main issue is that in the near future, my HT room is within what is normally a bedroom, and at most will be within a master bedroom, but will not have a dedicated space. My primary problem with my curren setup is the degree of clarity of speech and other sounds; I would like to listen at a quieter level and retain more fidelity. My current income is fairly limited but I'm willing to wait if that is required for a significant upgrade. If I order something now I'm around the 300 range; I'm not sure I can justify saving for an upgrade more than $600 in the near future

See if your Onkyo comes with the "IntelliVolume" function. I believe it will allow you to listen at a lower volume level and still hear everything.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 19
Honestly the probable problem is that your center channel speaker is just a bad sounding speaker. Your voices from movies primarily come from the center channel. I suppose it could be placement of that speaker as well or it is turned down too low (find the adjustment in settings).

To answer your original question I think the polk speakers will sound good properly run.

I didn't have to go through all of the above to get my onkyo to sound good with my polks. just a few adjustments to balance and I'm all good. I put it on stereo mode for music and 5.1 for movies. No probs. And I am only using bookshelf size.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 19
Youre looking at speakers whete the crossover point in the mid frequencies this will lower the clarity of voices,  look into full range single drivers there are not many ones I know, theres the orb audio speakers and the ones from gallo. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Youre looking at speakers whete the crossover point in the mid frequencies this will lower the clarity of voices,  look into full range single drivers there are not many ones I know, theres the orb audio speakers and the ones from gallo. 

Really? The Paradigm Atom frequency response looks decently flat to me:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=592%3Anrc-measurements-paradigm-atom-monitor-v7-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=18

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 19
One of my main questions that I don't think I ourtright asked - does the tower form-factor makes sense in a small room or within a limited budget, given a subwoofer?

I'm looking into the suggestions given so far.
Should I experiment with the crossover settings? Speakers can do "Full Band; 40Hz to 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz" and the LPF of LFE goes from 80 to 120.

The receiver has Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (compression), is this similar to what you meant by Intellivolume? Setting Off/Light/Medium/Heavy. (IntelliVolume on this receiver alters the levels of the inputs)

"Audyssey Dynamic EQ solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics. Dynamic EQ selects the correct frequency response and surround levels moment-by-moment at any user-selected volume setting. The result is bass response, tonal balance, and surround impression that remain constant despite changes in volume. Dynamic EQ combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a prerequisite for delivering a loudness correction solution."

"Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume looks at the preferred volume setting by the user and then monitors how the volume of program material is being perceived by listeners in real time to decide whether an adjustment is needed. Whenever necessary, Dynamic Volume makes the necessary rapid or gradual adjustments to maintain the desired playback volume level while optimizing the dynamic range. Audyssey Dynamic Volume works fine by itself, but can also be used with Audyssey Dynamic EQ. When both are on, Audyssey Dynamic EQ adjusts the perceived bass response, tonal balance, surround impression, and dialog clarity whether watching movies, flipping between television channels, or changing from stereo to surround sound content, when Dynamic Volume adjusts the volume."

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
One of my main questions that I don't think I ourtright asked - does the tower form-factor makes sense in a small room or within a limited budget, given a subwoofer?

It does given the fact that just about any tower won't be able to accurately reproduce the lowest frequencies unless you're paying tens of thousands of dollars.

Quote:
Should I experiment with the crossover settings? Speakers can do "Full Band; 40Hz to 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz" and the LPF of LFE goes from 80 to 120.

I would try different settings. Most likely you'll have to play around with them anyway if you're going to replace the left / center / right speakers to blend them in to the rest of your setup. You might want to invest in an SPL meter in order to help you adjust levels and make sure they're all matching up.

Quote:
"Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies.

This might be useful when you're playing movies at low volume.

Hope this helps!

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Really? The Paradigm Atom frequency response looks decently flat to me:

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=592%3Anrc-measurements-paradigm-atom-monitor-v7-loudspeakers&catid=77&Itemid=18

The midrange iw being split between the tweeter and woofer, this makes them less coherent 

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 19
Youre hearing a voice or guitar or violin for example all midrange instruments split into two drivers its not going to sync up perfectly the timimng wont be exact and at the crossover point theres going to be a smudginess some speakers more or less than others,   if you read up on peoples impressions on full range single driver speakers and two way speakers you will get a better sense of what Im explaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back