Seeking beta testers for the Aiwa Arc-1 Bluetooth Headphones
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #106 of 117
@Zapp_Fan in the portable, contemporary market your approach makes sense and I would argue that for the reason you noted, the ability to EQ frequencies after the fact, that it is quite acceptable to allow a little extra bass energy into a signature. There are already system wide equalizers that can be used with Android and iOS phones if I'm not mistaken; however, if Aiwa were to author just such an app (hopefully a parametric equalizer) that would be ideal.

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #108 of 117
Please dont say the evil EQ-word :astonished: I try to condition the iRiver guys to improve their EQ. Its there but dont do much.
EQing is not evil, the inability of people to use it correctly is the evil.

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #110 of 117
@gryphon1911 Thanks for the fair and very reasonable review. I would comment that it's a challenge to balance the need for a solid crowd-pleasing bass presence with the need to keep the mids clean, while not sucking the life out of the lower male vocals and guitars. Given that our audience is very broad, I had to come down on the side of a little extra bass at the possible risk of the slight feeling of bleed-over.

All that said, there is a chance we'll be able to release an EQ app in the coming months which should allow users to tune the FR in wireless mode with a good degree of control. I don't know if that would be a game-changer, but you could definitely spend a couple bands dialing in the upper bass. :wink:

Seriously, having an app that could give the ability to tweak the EQ on the headphones would be awesome!

Aug 21, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #111 of 117
The overwhelming hyped reviews may attract many people to push the "buy" button. But there are obvious characteristics of the Arc-1 that are not good and need to be mentioned. Its a new approach to the (wireless) headphone market and i think it helps more to point out how to make things better.

For me it was also the first approach into wireless headphones. I dont know if the competitors products amps hiss too or if the max possible volume is not the greatest. But i will find out. I really enjoyed having the Arc-1 on my ears, go to the kitchen, do some stuff, switch to another song etc. Operating the headphone via the right earcup was intuitive and a nobrainer.

As i said in my review, AIWA got a great responsive customer service. I have the feeling that its worth to assist them making better products. I may not always be right but try my best and share my experience with the portable audio products.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #112 of 117
Oh i totally second this and all headphoniacs have their own sound signature they like. Let everyone bend the frequencies to their own likings :thumbsup:
I typically use an EQ very sparingly, I tend to prefer to let myself get used to a headphones stock signature and if I adjust, I do so minimally. I am a little bit of a purist, but I do also know that done well EQing can help when it is needed and I don't fear it, or reject it out of principle. When I was younger I thought EQing was foolish and I ignored it. Over time I experimented and learned how to use an equalizer so now if I do decide to do so, I know how. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #113 of 117
I have to admit that i rarely use the eq. I found a headphone which sound signature i like 99% of the time (Denon 5200) i listen to my music files. Sometimes i just want to tweak the frequency (mostly lows) of one of my favourite songs. In my younger times i was dissapointed of the headphones i bought and listened too. I cranked up and heavily used boosts of frequencies. If theres a whatever... hiphop song that in my opinion lacks the last deep boost i wanna be able to boost it up.

Aug 22, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #115 of 117
The overwhelming hyped reviews may attract many people to push the "buy" button. But there are obvious characteristics of the Arc-1 that are not good and need to be mentioned. Its a new approach to the (wireless) headphone market and i think it helps more to point out how to make things better.

For me it was also the first approach into wireless headphones. I dont know if the competitors products amps hiss too or if the max possible volume is not the greatest. But i will find out. I really enjoyed having the Arc-1 on my ears, go to the kitchen, do some stuff, switch to another song etc. Operating the headphone via the right earcup was intuitive and a nobrainer.

As i said in my review, AIWA got a great responsive customer service. I have the feeling that its worth to assist them making better products. I may not always be right but try my best and share my experience with the portable audio products.

Sorry for the slow response, just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to do a thoughtful and honest review, even if you did not ultimately find the headphones to be a good fit for your tastes. The one thing I thought I would comment on - you mention that you have not used bluetooth headphones much before, and that the noise level was bothersome.

In my own testing I realized that the noise level is often largely determined by the source. Although the BT chipset does have some amount of self-noise (which probably compares unfavorably to a decent wired headphone amp, it must be acknowledged), a great deal more noise often comes from BT transmitters. The true self-noise when not connected to anything is pretty inoffensive in my opinion. I realized this when I switched between PC and phone as sources, the background noise changed in a very obvious way.

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #116 of 117
I got them and I could say they're lots of fun!!

My full review is coming in soon :)

DnkffNlWsAAVrEx.jpg:large

Users who are viewing this thread

Back