Seeking assistance in deciding between an entry level audiophile headphone and (DAC/AMP), or a headset, for use mostly in gaming, music and movies.
Oct 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jjpresturd

New Head-Fier
It's rare that I join, or contribute to forums, I have a habit of only reading them, so this is fun - greetings!

I am new to audio. That being said, I do have a set of Sennheiser HD208s, have an old Logitech surround sound system,
and consider myself to be a closet audiophile who never quite made the leap. What's more on that regard, I am on a budget.
Being a college student has that effect.

Still, I've spent a long time now browsing forums, such as this one, and am becoming more familiar with what is out there. My
intent is to have something to use as a headset, or a headphone and mic combo, a search which began with what seems to be
the poor quality of Razor audio products. Quickly that notion was dispelled, and I began a search for something more worth my
while.

I struck Sennheiser with the PC350 (se), PC360, PC363, and so on...

I'm familiar with most Sennheiser products, anywhere from the HD280pro, to the arguments between the HD555/595 and HD558/598.
I've seen comparisons that weigh in the direction of Audio-Technica AD700s, etc.

Anyways, my goal here is to figure out if a headphone, such as the HD558/598 with a seperate mic and DAC/AMP, for at or below the $200
price range (the headphone, not DAC/AMP or mic), will be a better choice, or whether simply a headset would be wiser.

I initially was turned on to the 7.1 surround sound stuff with headsets, but have begun moving away from that idea; first, because of the
lack of true surround sound with single drivers, and second because even the virtual surround seems to be dedicated to the gaming, and
lacks in all other areas.

Well, I feel like I've said too much about too little!

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 10
Sennheiser HD558, $130
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $26.80 and there is a $10 mail in rebate
Get any add-on mic you like.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply!
How would that soundcard compare with a DAC/AMP?
Also, are there any retailers I should consider and does anyone know if the HD558 is substantially better sound quality than any of the PC headsets?

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the reply!
How would that soundcard compare with a DAC/AMP?
Also, are there any retailers I should consider and does anyone know if the HD558 is substantially better sound quality than any of the PC headsets?

External DAC/Amps are nice, but offer zero surround sound for games and movies.

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Right on.

Is it the case that the HD558 contains the same driver as the 598? (I've seen a mod to remove a black band from the driver of the 558 to open up the sound)

Again, thanks for the information!

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 10
  Is it the case that the HD558 contains the same driver as the 598? (I've seen a mod to remove a black band from the driver of the 558 to open up the sound)
Again, thanks for the information!

The Sennheiser HD518, HD558, HD598, PC360 all use the same driver.
But difference cup designs that affect audio, so removing the black rubber tape from inside the HD558 makes the headphone more open, so the audio quality is somewhere between the HD558 and HD598.

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 10
  The Sennheiser HD518, HD558, HD598, PC360 all use the same driver.
But difference cup designs that affect audio, so removing the black rubber tape from inside the HD558 makes the headphone more open, so the audio quality is somewhere between the HD558 and HD598.

If they PC360 has the same driver, and (I believe) comes with an attached soundcard (+mic), would I be saving money and hassle
by simply using the PC360, or is the difference in the cup design significant, to your knowledge, with the PC360 vs. HD5*8?

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 10
  If they PC360 has the same driver, and (I believe) comes with an attached sound card (+mic), would I be saving money and hassle
by simply using the PC360, or is the difference in the cup design significant, to your knowledge, with the PC360 vs. HD5*8?

The PC360 does not come with an attached sound card, but does come with an attached mic.
I would still like to have the HD558, over the PC360, as more into music first and I personally have no need of a mic.
If i had a PC360 and a HD558 next to each other I could compare, so it's hard for me to sat which is the better buy.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 10

The PC360 does not come with an attached sound card, but does come with an attached mic.
I would still like to have the HD558, over the PC360, as more into music first and I personally have no need of a mic.
If i had a PC360 and a HD558 next to each other I could compare, so it's hard for me to sat which is the better buy.

Ah, I was thinking the PC333 with the soundcard (not that I was considering getting that one).

It looks like my best bet would be the HD558 with the tape removal mod and a mic.
PurpleAngel, thanks for your help, I have on more question that I might direct to another thread,
in case you don't use mics at all...

I'm considering getting an AntLion ModMic with the HD558 - do you know if the open design of the HD558
would leak enough audio to be an issue with the mic picking it up?

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 10
  Ah, I was thinking the PC333 with the soundcard (not that I was considering getting that one).

It looks like my best bet would be the HD558 with the tape removal mod and a mic.
PurpleAngel, thanks for your help, I have on more question that I might direct to another thread,
in case you don't use mics at all...

I'm considering getting an AntLion ModMic with the HD558 - do you know if the open design of the HD558
would leak enough audio to be an issue with the mic picking it up?

I know zero about mics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back