Seeking Advice to pair a Headphone Amp with an All in One
Apr 13, 2012 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kryten123

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I recently bought an Arcam Solo Neo to use as a CD Player but mainly as a streaming device to play music from a NAS server on my network via an Ipod app. I haven't been blown away by the sound of the Arcam and was looking to add a dedicated Headphone amp to it.

My initial thoughts were to use a Burson Amp (and\or DAC) but after contacting them, they didnt think their products would pair well with the Arcam because:

"The Arcam Solo Neo is designed to be an all in one unit, so it only has one Optical digital output, so it not very good to use as a digital source. Your computer is the easiest way to listen to music via our 160DS or 160D etc...."

I am bit confused by this reply because the Arcam has Coaxial outputs and I was under the impression I could chain an external headphone amp through these??

Amplifiers are still a bit of a dark art to me and I quite confused whether I can add a dedicated headphone amp or whether I should sell the Arcam and start again.

Can any Amplifier savvy person here help me out with some advice as to whether I can pair an amp to the Arcam and any suggestions to a suitable one.

I will be using various IEMs and Full size cans (currently have Ultrasone Pro900 and planning to get a pair Denon D7000).

FYI - here is some info from the Arcam Solo Neo manual if it helps:

Audio outputs:
Pre Out: To improve the sound quality still further, or if you require more than the 50W/channel that Solo Neo offers, an external power amp. or subwoofer can be connected. For a power amplifier, connect these sockets to the input sockets of your power amp, then connect your speakers to its speaker terminals.

DIGITAL Out: This carries the digital output from the CD,DAB, FM, NET and USB stages of Solo Neo, and can be used for making digital recordings using compatible recording devices (such as MiniDisc). When a CD is being played, this output carries a signal with a sample rate of 44.1kHz; with DAB/FM radio, USB and Network sources the signal sample rate is 48kHz.

Pre-amplifier Inputs
Maximum input level 2.5Vrms
Input impedance 47kΩ
Signal/noise ratio 105dB

Co-axial outputs
Maximum output level 2.5Vrms
Output impedance 500Ω
Optical output (TOSLINK) Sample rate 44.1kHz (with CD playback), 48kHz (with DAB, FM, NET & USB receiver),otherwise muted.

Amplifier
Continuous power output, per channel, 80kHz measurement bandwidth
Both channels, 4Ω, 1kHz 75Wrms, 0.013% THD+n
Distortion, both channels 4Ω, 80% power, 1kHz 0.011% THD+n

All help and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back