Seeking advice to improve MS-2 + Voyager combo
Jun 4, 2008 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

WorldsEndWombat

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a newbie.
I've been keeping my Alessandro MS-2 for almost half year and plugged it into a Denon receiver at the beginning.

After lurking around and and reading people's recommendations, I got my voyager in eBay for hefty GBP179 about a month ago, and wow, it does improves the sound quality a lot from my old chubby Denon!

However after two to three weeks burning in, I'm not totally satisfied with the performance of the combo, to name a few - treble sounds a bit harsh for me, it occasionally "tsss tsss" on some recordings, when playing classical styled music, the sound is flat - this is very obvious when I play "Blood" from This Mortal Coil: the bass is compact and punchy, human voices are very vivid, however when come to the section of orchestral arrangements, the touchy 3 dimension soon dies away and sound stage becomes narrow.
My analysis is
  1. my source is too weak, definitely need to upgrade to a matching desktop CDP. I'm using my portal iRiver iMP-400 to play CDs now, because it has a direct line-out so i can avoid double amping. Though a good portable, I know iMP-400 lacks a lot of air.
  1. Voyager has not fully burnt in? I heard both Solo and Voyager need relatively long time to show their real strength
  1. MS-2 and Voyager not matching each other? oh boy, i hope this is not the answer. I know MS-2 is a bright can, and should be good at my music styles. But I heard voyager is good at virtually any type of cans. BTW I'm listening to Post Rock, Dark Ambient, Neo Classical, Euro Jazz, IDM, Techno, Experimental Dub, World fusion, etc

Any gurus can point out what's wrong with my settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back