Seeking Advice on Saxophone Players
Dec 25, 2023 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sajesak

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am currently on the lookout for recommendations on exceptional saxophone players to expand my music collection. Whether it's classic jazz, contemporary,

or any other genre, I am eager to discover skilled saxophonists who have made a significant impact in the music industry.

Your insights and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Feel free to share your favorite saxophonists and any particular albums or performances that left a lasting impression.

I am excited to explore new sounds and styles, so your guidance will be invaluable.

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello all,

I am currently on the lookout for recommendations on exceptional saxophone players to expand my music collection. Whether it's classic jazz, contemporary,

or any other genre, I am eager to discover skilled saxophonists who have made a significant impact in the music industry.

Your insights and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Feel free to share your favorite saxophonists and any particular albums or performances that left a lasting impression.

I am excited to explore new sounds and styles of event saxophonists, so your guidance will be invaluable.
Thank you in advance for your contributions!

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Well any such list is of course going to include John Coltrane and Charlie Parker. :)

There are tons of guys a little less known that are really excellent including:

Sonny Rollins
Paul Desmond
Art Pepper
Ike Quebec
Gerry Mulligan
Stan Getz
Serge Chaloff
Hank Mobley
Dexter Gordon
Lou Donaldson
Tina Brooks
Stanley Turrentine
Benny Golson
Joe Henderson

These are my goto guys, mostly in the jazz bebop space which IMO was the best time for sax music.

It's pretty cool to watch some of the old big band stuff too like Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman etc just to see how freakin tight those large bands were.

Personally I cannot get into post-bop avant guard players even though I have tried.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Wait till you hear the sax in Orgone Accumulator by Hawkwind

Nicholas Robert Turner
Nicholas Robert Turner (26 August 1940 – 10 November 2022) was an English musician, best known as a member of space rock pioneers Hawkwind.
Turner played saxophone and flute, as well as being a vocalist and composer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back