Seeking advice on headphone up to $250
Jan 17, 2006 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

msanders

New Head-Fier
I've browsed the last 20 pages of this forum and conducted a few searches, but cannot find anything on point, so I started this post.

I am looking for my first (and only) set of headphones. My budget is $250 (street price).

I want to use the headphones mainly for movie/television viewing, and some music, while my family is asleep in the house.

I have young kids, so I think I would prefer Open, circumaural headphones so I can hear if they scream.

No portability is needed. They will only be used at home.

I would sacrifice some sound quality for comfortable headphones.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 11
are you using an amp or not?

I am guessing no. Then HD595s might be the right way to go. Being that don't need an amp to sound good. A900s are another option and actually need an amp even less. But they are a closed headphone so think this is in second place. Athough any headphone turned up loud will block outside noises.

Personally I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. If I was worried I miss something I wouldn't wear a headphone at all.

Jan 17, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 11
are you looking for an amp as well?

In my opinion, the Senn. HD-580's at around 150 dollars USD are the best bang for the buck can I have ever heard. Add a 60-70 dollar amp (can't really help you on that one though) and you should have an amazing system.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Athough any headphone turned up loud will block outside noises.

No, no, no. A headphone turned up loud will not block sound—it will only make the audio louder than the external sounds. This is bad, because that's the way you harm your hearing.

My advice is that, if you're only going to get one set of headphones, unless you're absolutely positive that you'll always have a quiet environment when you want to use them, go for closed ones. No, they don't sound as good as open headphones, but they're useful in a broader range of situations.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 11
I would reccomend the DT880's. There semi-open, but I've never had problem s with outside noise when I have been in the houes and they are also incredibly comfortable. You amp should be able to supply them with enough power fine, but I don't know a lot about that.

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Considering you'll mainly be using the headphones for movies and television, I'd go with the Beyer DT 770-80 if I were you. They're superb for movies, and I can wear them for hours they're so comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back