Seeking Advice: Headphone Amp Vs Speaker Amp
Sep 7, 2008 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WiredCon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

As I'm sure there are plenty of headfi members who are into hi-fi as well, I'm posting this question to get some insights from more experienced members.

Question: I was looking around for a headphone amp that I can use with HD 600, and if I didn't really need a portable amp and all of my audio gears will be right next to my desk, why not just get a hifi-amp for my new speakers(I just got a new pair of latest version of Paradigm studio 20s) which have a headphone output instead.

Can anyone recommend me any good hi-fi amps with good headphone output?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd like to know what is general view on the SQ betwen dedicated headphone amp and audio amp.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

p.s. My budget for amp is around $500(new or used), I was looking at intergrated amps from NAD and Rotel.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

As I'm sure there are plenty of headfi members who are into hi-fi as well, I'm posting this question to get some insights from more experienced members.

Question: I was looking around for a headphone amp that I can use with HD 600, and if I didn't really need a portable amp and all of my audio gears will be right next to my desk, why not just get a hifi-amp for my new speakers(I just got a new pair of latest version of Paradigm studio 20s) which have a headphone output instead.

Can anyone recommend me any good hi-fi amps with good headphone output?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd like to know what is general view on the SQ betwen dedicated headphone amp and audio amp.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

p.s. My budget for amp is around $500(new or used), I was looking at intergrated amps from NAD and Rotel.

Do a search and you'll find a few longish threads on this subject. The bottom line, IMO, is that good quality integrated amps and receivers -- NAD, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha, Rotel, Marantz, more...plus lots of 70s vintage stuff if you're into that sort of thing, do a great job with high impedance phones like HD600s. I personally get great results driving my HD580s with a vintage Harman Kardon integrated amp (A402). Can you do better? I'm sure. But you might have to make a substantial investment in a dedicated headphone amp to do a lot better. Lots of folks, in the aforementioned threads, were finding the headphone sections of their speaker amps holding their own with really respected mid-priced HP amps from Darkvoice, Little Dot, HeadAmp, CIAudio, etc. Some even preferred them. It's not hard to test it for yourself. Take a good test CD and your HD600s to the store and listen to some amps. They're a lot easier to find than dedicated HP amps.

Tim

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 11
They are easier to find---> This is exactly why I started thinking about the SQ and wanted to get some advices from those more experienced ones who have tried both world.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 11
You won't find any consensus. You'll find people who believe than any decent dedicated HP amp has to be better, that all the HP sections of amps, receivers and sources are poor substitutes, cheap afterthoughts. At the other end you'll find people convinced that the HP section of their $500 integrated amp is as good as any HP amp, regardless of price. My rather limited experience tells me that neither of those extremes makes much sense. Use your ears. Plug your phones into good quality equipment. If you like what you hear, that's what matters.

Tim

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 11
Tim- Can't agree more with you on this matter. Only if I could find any vendors let me try their HP amps, I wouldnt even bother asking for other people's opinions on what is better.

Thanks for your input.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 11
I think it depends on your listening habits. If you like headphones and speakers equally, I say get the good speaker amp. Tfarney is absolutely correct. Good speaker amps use high quality components which usually means good all around performance.

If you want to try headphone amps, a lot of the forum sponsors offer generous return policies.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 11
I've heard the Marantz PM7001, with my K501, I was quite underwhelmed, it sounded thin and bright. I don't know if something was wrong.

My Rotel pre amp sounds ok.

FWIW, I am rather impressed by the headphone jack of various Marantz and some Denon CDPs.

Lately I got a portable headphone amp, LD Mk1. In term of raw power it has more juice than my Marantz CDP mentioned above. I have not attempted to hook up my Marantz CDP to it, but I got the feeling that it has more dynamic than the already pretty good Marantz.

Now I am curious about the LD range of headphone amp. I am thinking of trying out tubes. The new LD 1+ is only a hundred odd bucks, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try one, and plunge deeper if it suits you.

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 11
I've tried a few different headphones with different amps, headphone amps and integrateds alike.

With regard to integrated (speaker) amps, the ones I tried that drove headphones the best were offerings from NAD and Rotel. I'm not saying there arent better, allegedly for example the Cyrus 2 has proper dedicated headphone circuitry which isn't a mere step down resistor ran from the speaker stage like most. The Pioneer A400 also seemed to do a reasonable stab at headphones to my ears. I would say any of these are easily on par with basic entry level headphone amps, and some may well find them more listenable. The Rotel for example, made Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT931 headphones really rather musical with a firm, powerful bass performance that was often lacking from dedicated solutions, and an added warmth to the sound.

On the other hand, I have for example, tried my headphones out of my current Harman Kardon HK6550 and compared to my ANT Amber headphone amp, the HK is nowhere near as good. To be fair I think it seems clear the HP out on the HK is an afterthought and the ANT is definitely a good couple of steps up soundwise from your average entry level amp.

In general, what I find though is that the dedicated headphone amps can bring out that bit more detail and clarity, and generally sound cleaner. Whether you like this depends on your personal tastes, and of course, the headphones used.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 11
I had the top of the line HTR Yamaha.. utter suckage with my 650's. I had the HK 146.. It was ok. But for stereo playback my DAC1 destroyed it. I had low expectations with my V1800.. But it sounds excellent with my headphones.. It's comparable to a excellent bang for the buck 200.00 portable amp, but with a beefy PS, more drive, and fuller sound. Love watching BR movies in 2 channel LPCM.) Still need to buy speakers though for the HD sound.

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bon son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get a dedicated amp like Travagans Red, Cute Beyond, Little Dot I+, G&W TW-J9. Then with the rest of the money get an integrated amp for your incoming new speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Shouldn't that be the other way around? First get a good speaker amp, try the phones and if they sound lousy get one of the dedicateds suggested? Why assume the speaker amp is going to be unsatisfactiory without evidence? That seems to be what's been happening here all along, at least until a couple of threads appeared challenging that "wisdom". I'm not convinced we're all learnt from those threads, however.

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 11
I was looking to get one amp for both, but it seems like that might not be a good choice for headphone.

Anyone knows any int amp that has a good headphone amp built-in?

Thanks for your advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back