Seeking advice for a new heaphone and DAC/Amp purchase
Aug 14, 2009 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

berryjuice

New Head-Fier
My crappy Bose tri-port on-ear headphones just broke and I am planning on upgrading them with a beginner's audiophile gear
biggrin.gif
. I am currently leaning on pairing the Compass DAC/AMP with a Denon AH D2000 with the Compass connected from a Desktop computer through the USB port and playing FLAC files. I am really new on these kinds of audio set-up and I really find it very complex. My preferred music genres are pop, r&b, indie and chill-out music. My only options are close headphones since I will be mainly using the them on the office and I don't want to disturb anyone near me. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can recommend better close headphones than the Denon AH D2000 and a better DAC/Amp. I can push my budget to $700 for the headphones and a good DAC/Amp. This just implies that the Denon AH D5000 are out my budget though I also want to try them out, maybe next time.

Is this set up enough for preferred my music genre? I've heard that the Denons greatly benefit from the Compass DAC/AMP.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

IMO I would avoid USB if you want audiophile because the bus power/standard is often not good enough to reach audiophile standards. An external power supply can remedy this but not eliminate problems. This is a very contentious issue so I won't say more here cos it'll start a dumb debate.
confused_face.gif
It's just my opinion so do a search if you want to find out more.
regular_smile .gif

Go for PCI, PCI-e or if you must have the Compass, get a PCI card to output a bit-perfect spdif signal to feed into the Compass.

At the moment the Asus Essence ST and STX are just about the best value sound cards and achieve very high quality sound with the minimum of knowledge about PC music issues. You can use the internal headphone amp or connect up an external DAC and/or amp if you prefer.

What computer do you have ?

Just my opinion. I expect many people will disagree.
atsmile.gif

Asus Essence card US$200
Compass US$330
Cans.... ?

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 7
USB has come a long way and you can get units with good implementation nowadays. Personally I like the way Head Direct's Hifiman EF2 works w/ my Denons. It is an USB DAC w/ a built in hybrid amp that IMO sounds way above its $189 price.

I also like the Denon D2000 over the D5000 since the money you save can be used for a good re-cable and MarkL mods. Good luck.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

IMO I would avoid USB if you want audiophile because the bus power/standard is often not good enough to reach audiophile standards. An external power supply can remedy this but not eliminate problems. This is a very contentious issue so I won't say more here cos it'll start a dumb debate.
confused_face.gif
It's just my opinion so do a search if you want to find out more.
regular_smile .gif

Go for PCI, PCI-e or if you must have the Compass, get a PCI card to output a bit-perfect spdif signal to feed into the Compass.

At the moment the Asus Essence ST and STX are just about the best value sound cards and achieve very high quality sound with the minimum of knowledge about PC music issues. You can use the internal headphone amp or connect up an external DAC and/or amp if you prefer.

What computer do you have ?

Just my opinion. I expect many people will disagree.
atsmile.gif

Asus Essence card US$200
Compass US$330
Cans.... ?

My desktop computer is pretty much in stock condition. I really like to avoid sound cards as much as possible and that may be the reason why I am considering the Compass AMP/DAC. I'm really clueless on how these cards pair up on the Compass' DAC functionality. Also, buying cards will not fit my budget since I can only get the D2000 for $300. Compass costs $330 and If I add a $200 sound card, that would set me back to $830 excluding shipping and taxes though I might consider that setup if it will greatly improve the sound quality and after some great deal of research.
popcorn.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB has come a long way and you can get units with good implementation nowadays. Personally I like the way Head Direct's Hifiman EF2 works w/ my Denons. It is an USB DAC w/ a built in hybrid amp that IMO sounds way above its $189 price.

I also like the Denon D2000 over the D5000 since the money you save can be used for a good re-cable and MarkL mods. Good luck.

I will indeed consider Hifiman EF2 though I will reasearch them furthermore before making a decision. In any case, do have any opinions on how the Compass pair up against the EF2? I've also searched some threads saying that the Headamp's Pico goes really well with Denons but it is way out of my budget as they cost $500. Does Pico performs better than Compass and EF2 sound quality wise or is it just the portability of Pico that drives their prices that high? It really looks slick and I really prefer discrete setups than the industrial looking Compass and EF2 can give.

Have been researching for hours each day about these products. Some say the D5000 sounds way better than D2000 others say they are the same and others say it is the other way around esp. with good re-cable. I think this is a very subjective topic and it always boils down based on personal preference/taste but I don't have the privilege to audition both phones. This purchase is really getting very complicated as each day passes while churning away the head-fi forums. So many options to choose from and it's really hard to stick with my initial budget.
confused_face.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I have both the D2000 and D5000. If you will not mod them get the D5000 it sound sufficiently better to be worth it. Please remember that they need a good 450 hours of burn-in.

If you plan on doing the MarkL mods I would suggest you get the D2000 and include a re-cable and perhaps a set of MarkL upgraded wood cups. As far as a re-cable I am very happy w/ the silver plated copper re-cable done by HiFLyiN9 of Xinsonic. Cheers.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by berryjuice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... do have any opinions on how the Compass pair up against the EF2? .... Does Pico performs better than Compass and EF2 sound quality wise.....

anyone?
happy_face1.gif

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back