Seeking a unicorn... ATH-AD700/Philips HP910 signature in a portable headphone? ~$50-100
Jun 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

taslavar

New Head-Fier
Hi head fi! I'm looking for a semi-portable, open or closed, durable headphone with a WIDE and DEEP soundstage, similar to ATH-AD700/Philips HP910 as possible.

Unfortunately, these headphones are just too big and delicate for constant travel. In IEMs, I also enjoy the VSD3 and Zero Tenore signatures. 

Soundstage and signature is the most important factor, followed by degree of portability, followed by price. I don't care about isolation or leakage, I have IEMs for that. 

Are there any portable/semi-portabe headphones that can approach this? I'm currently considering HM5 clones, the Aurvana live, UE 6000, HD 558. Is there anything smaller and maybe foldable that might even remotely approach that kind of soundstage and signature? JVC HA-S500? ATH-SJ55?

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Yes. You are looking for a unicorn. Closed headphones don't have the big soundstage of the AD700s. Sorry.

Not "smaller and foldable," but the AKG K550 do have a reputation for having one of the best soundstages of a closed headphone. Bit more than your budget, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back