seeking ~$100 comfortable cans
Sep 8, 2008 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

17numbers

New Head-Fier
Hey all, another one of those pop-up newbies here to ask a few questions -

I'm looking for a pair of phones that are...

+ sub $150, around ~$100 for casual listening (I don't do sound/studio work)

+ great for classical music; neutral enough to let musical nuances sizzle through

+ comfortable! def. want something that I don't have to take off every 10 minutes to cool my ears.

+ NOT for travel - I don't intend to carry these around much/at all.

+ decent enough to enjoy rock, metal, hip-hop

I'm currently looking into the Sennheiser 280 Pro and Denon AH-D1001K, although I used to own a Sony MDR7506 and am considering purchasing another pair of those.

My biggest problem is my lack of experience: I know what I want, but with all the different brands and models, I have no idea which ones meet my needs.

cheers,

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 14
Neither the HD280s nor the D1001s (K is black, S is silver) do classical well. I think it's pretty hard to find good cans for classical that are about $100. Even $150... Both of those cans are closed. Would you go for open headphones instead?

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 14
The Audio Technica AD700 would be a good choice. Great for classical and decent enough for rock and hip hop (a bit lean on bass compared to some headphones though). The Sennheiser HD555 arent bad either and have a bit more bass than the AD700. However, they arent as good in other areas so overall the AD700 is better, especially for classical.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 14
Are u sure? i tried AD500 and didnt like them at all ..hence went forward & bought HD555.

HD555 works great for me...

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are u sure? i tried AD500 and didnt like them at all ..hence went forward & bought HD555.

HD555 works great for me...

THe HD555 worked great for me too until I heard the AD700.

Yes. Most people who have heard both the AD700 and HD555 prefer the AD700. Many even prefer them to the HD595. I'm not sure how the AD500 compare to the AD700 but maybe you just didn't like the sound signature of the Audio Technicas.

They AD700 are faster, more detailed, airier, have a larger soundstage with better separation, better treble energy and detail, and tighter bass compared to the HD555. The HD555 sounds dull in comparison in my opinion. I also find the AD700 to be more comfortable.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THe HD555 worked great for me too until I heard the AD700.

Yes. Most people who have heard both the AD700 and HD555 prefer the AD700. Many even prefer them to the HD595. I'm not sure how the AD500 compare to the AD700 but maybe you just didn't like the sound signature of the Audio Technicas.

They AD700 are faster, more detailed, airier, have a larger soundstage with better separation, better treble energy and detail, and tighter bass compared to the HD555. The HD555 sounds dull in comparison in my opinion. I also find the AD700 to be more comfortable.

Its not dull ..its a Warm sound signature.

u r right..i may not be liking Audio Techs Sound signature...
I tried ATH pro 700 also & W1000 also via ipod .
i didnt find anything exciting in ATs.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not dull ..its a Warm sound signature.

u r right..i may not be liking Audio Techs Sound signature...
I tried ATH pro 700 also & W1000 also via ipod .
i didnt find anything exciting in ATs.

Never heard the pro 700 or W1000 so not sure about those although I believe the W1000 needs an amp. I guess I just prefer a brighter more forward sound than the Sennheisers.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither the HD280s nor the D1001s (K is black, S is silver) do classical well. I think it's pretty hard to find good cans for classical that are about $100. Even $150... Both of those cans are closed. Would you go for open headphones instead?

Yeah, I'd be cool with open phones. I'm more of a fan of closed phones, but since I'm not esp. picky, I could go with either.

Quote:

The Audio Technica AD700 would be a good choice. Great for classical and decent enough for rock and hip hop (a bit lean on bass compared to some headphones though). The Sennheiser HD555 arent bad either and have a bit more bass than the AD700. However, they arent as good in other areas so overall the AD700 is better, especially for classical.

Interesting, I was looking at the AD700s earlier on in my search, but it seemed people were consistently marking the D1001s and HD280s as better for classical music (maybe I misinterpreted).

Have you used the Sony MDR7506 or MDRV6? I get the impression those are pretty neutral since a lot of studios use them, plus I really liked the sound of classical music from those (listening to rock was also pretty tasty). Are the AD700s or HD555s just as good/better?

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 17numbers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'd be cool with open phones. I'm more of a fan of closed phones, but since I'm not esp. picky, I could go with either.

Interesting, I was looking at the AD700s earlier on in my search, but it seemed people were consistently marking the D1001s and HD280s as better for classical music (maybe I misinterpreted).

Have you used the Sony MDR7506 or MDRV6? I get the impression those are pretty neutral since a lot of studios use them, plus I really liked the sound of classical music from those (listening to rock was also pretty tasty). Are the AD700s or HD555s just as good/better?

Haven't heard the Sony's. They are good closed cans for the price from what I have read. The HD555 and AD700 will sound more spacious and have a much better soundstage though. The HD555 and AD700 both should be better overall. The HD555 has a warmer, slightly laid back and smooth sound while the AD700 will be airier, more detailed and a bit more forward sounding. Both are good its just what type of sound your looking for.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

They AD700 are faster, more detailed, airier, have a larger soundstage with better separation, better treble energy and detail, and tighter bass compared to the HD555. .

agree with JayB18.
I like my AD700 especially its Soundstage,but I still donn't have enough bass from it.
My question is how important the Amount(quantity) of Bass do you need to serve your classic ,Rock and Hiphop.
For me AD700 is just decent with Rock , Hiphop and some pieces of Classic.
But for any other type I think AD700 is a great Cans

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 14
I think you'll be happy with the AD700s, if you can get it for ~$100 (e.g., Newegg). As you know by now, the problem is in the bass...but surely a Fiio E3 will fix that, right? Word to the wise, though: Some people have fit issues with these. You might want to try them out first.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 14
I own the Senn 555's and the Sony V6's. Tried both open and closed variants of the Audio Technica 700's a couple of days ago.

I agree on Jay's assessment of the 555's vs the AD700's. Both are extremely comfortable, but the AT's are even more so. I've worn the 555's for two hours while watching a movie with no problems whatsoever, and I wear glasses.

The closed version of the 700's give you quite a bit more bass. The 555's sound notably better thru an amp also, I've found them to be very amp dependent - like two different sets of cans. But overall, I prefer the sound of the AT closed 700 to both the open 700 or my 555's, and will be likely picking up a pair soon.

I like the V6's too, I think they're great for $65. Not as comfy, though.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerumenator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the Senn 555's and the Sony V6's. Tried both open and closed variants of the Audio Technica 700's a couple of days ago.

I agree on Jay's assessment of the 555's vs the AD700's. Both are extremely comfortable, but the AT's are even more so. I've worn the 555's for two hours while watching a movie with no problems whatsoever, and I wear glasses.

The closed version of the 700's give you quite a bit more bass. The 555's sound notably better thru an amp also, I've found them to be very amp dependent - like two different sets of cans. But overall, I prefer the sound of the AT closed 700 to both the open 700 or my 555's, and will be likely picking up a pair soon.

I like the V6's too, I think they're great for $65. Not as comfy, though.

So how do u Amp your HD555?

Many told me amp wouldnt benefit HD555...but when i tried GoVibe & Predator Amps...i realized i was missing a lot of details unamped

The Bass was also more powerful & highs werent rolled off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back